Should I Use a Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon for Scar Excision?

And why? Which is the best option? Pros and cons? Also, which type of excision procedures are best for a small lineal hypertrophic scars after an alarplathy surgery? Thank you.

Doctor Answers 4

Scar options

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There are many ways to improve the appearance of surgical scars. Depending on the area, surgical excision may not be the best method as often a similar appearing scar results. In areas of tight skin or a lot of movement, laser scar revision may be the best option. Look into laser treatments such as pulsed dye laser or fraxel.

Scar Excision

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There is no definitive answer on whether to use a dermatologist or plastic surgeon. The surgeon who performed your surgery should be the first resource. If he/she is unable to help then the physician you choose should be experienced, expert, and understanding/caring of your needs/objectives. Consult with 3 - 4 surgeons to explore your options. Physical exam and consultation will determine the best option or combination of treatments for you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS
West Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 56 reviews

Scars after nasal surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

After an alarplasty and rhinoplasty the scar most often is very difficult to see. The person to look to if you are troubled with the scar is the surgeon who performed the rhinoplasty. Revision may help.

Best of luck,


Peter E. Johnson, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.0 out of 5 stars 44 reviews

You might also like...

Hypertrophic scarring after alar base surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It sounds as though this may be keloid scarring.  If so, injections with steroids may be of benefit.  If there is a problem with hypertrophic scarring, it may be systemic and another surgery may result in the same problem.  However, scarring may be reduced with proper surgical technique that can include intraoperative steroid injections and prolene sutures, (instead of absorbable ones). 

Michelle R. Yagoda, MD
New York Facial Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.