I do aerial tricks. I mean drops from 20ft+. But want a BA under muscle. 30 yr F (Photo)

I am worried about it affecting my ability to climb 20ft, wrap myself in silks and drop safely. I do not want about the muscle because I am petite with very little breast tissue. Is it possible to have natural looking implants and continue to do intense aerial exercise? Google videos like Pencil Drop, Double Star Drop, Suicide Drop, Ankle Drop, to get an idea of what I do (I'm on instagram aerialjacky for a better idea of the aerial stuff. I don't want to not be able to do this after surgery.

Submuscular Breast augmentation

Thanks for your question.

I will go against many of my colleagues here.  I prefer to go transaxillary submuscular with silicone implants.  That being said, in your case, as well as body builders, I would go subglandular with a silicone implant.  Whenever you go submuscular, there is a SIGNIFICANT decrease in your pectoral muscle strength for quite some time (way more than a month or two).  My patients are cleared to return to the gym after 4 weeks, but it takes a long time for them to get back the chest wall strength they enjoyed pre-op.  If you are able to slowly build your strength back and take a 2 month hiatus from your work, then go for it.  Otherwise, please ask to speak with several of my post op patients to get truthful responses.

Best of luck with your decision.

Dr. T

Breast augmentation

Very impressive- I would equate your skills to those of professional body builders whom I recommend consider implants over the muscle. Extreme lifting with very strong pectoral muscles can squeeze the implant out and result in distortion over time. Higher filled Sientra gels or Natrelle Inspira implants are good choices.

An exam and consultation with a plastic surgeon is recommended to discuss your options and expectations. 

Implants

Under the muscle should be fine but you will have to wait to do all the acrobatics for about 6-8 weeks. Good luck.

Aerial acrobat wants augmentation

Excellent question and that is an amazing skill set that you have.

Breast augmentation can be done in your case and be done under the muscle. The major issues of course involve your occupation.  You will need to have a longer than normal recovery time after surgery prior to returning to your job. You also may have a higher risk of displacement of the implant with muscle contraction than a typical patient.  That means that the implant may move when you contract your chest muscle. Some people have minimal distortion despite heavy muscle contraction others don't and there is no way to predict. That is why above the muscle augmentation is recommended to athletic patients.

Ryan Hoffman, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. This is fine as long as you refrain from aerial tricks for 4-6 weeks.  The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  This entire surgery can be performed with a small incision technique.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Go for it!

The key is to not go too big. A round, silicone gel implant under the muscle will give you a very nice result and will not limit what you do after surgery. I have competitive body builders and kick boxers with submuscular implants -- you will do just fine.  Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation

Yes, I recommend a smooth, round, silicone "Gummy Bear" implant placed in a submuscular plane.  This is still ideal depite your aerial tricks. I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with and who is a Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Best wishes!

Dr. Desai

Implants

You could have them -- but the larger you go, the more issues you will have -- also, I disagree with some other doctors here -- I dont think that under the muscle is the best way if you are very active with your pectorals -- .

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

I do aerial tricks. I mean drops from 20ft+. But want a BA under muscle. 30 yr F

Thank you for your question.  I concur with another set A submuscular breast augmentation is the best option for a person like yourself who does very vigorous and intense muscular exercise.  I would suggest however that if you proceed that you be certain that the wraps that support the pressure and weight of your fall not be placed directly around the breast implants because such vigorous force, compressive force of your full weight placed on the breast implants directly could possibly rupture the implant.  Please see consultation with an experienced a board certified plastic surgeon.

Breast augmentation for intense athlete

Hello and thank you for the question and the photos. This is an excellent question. Breast augmentation for the extreme athlete / gymnast / aerial acrobat poses some different issues with the surgery. 

For all athletes ( except power lifters ) i recommend the under the muscle implant. It does not affect function or strength for most athletes except those engaged in competitive power lifting ( in my experience ) 

You should consider having a silicone textured implant. I prefer textured implants in athletes due to the reduced risk of migration of the implant ( bottoming out, or lateral fall under the armpits )

You need to wait to be fully healed before returning to training / exercise. For most patients, i suggest 4-6 weeks out of the gym. For the type of extreme exercise you do, it would be longer. close to 3-4 months before you could safely return to swinging on a aerial silk. 

You should have several consultations with board certified plastic surgeons before making any final decisions. 

As always, best to be healthy, no smoking, and make sure any health concerns you have are managed by your primary care md. 

Best to you.

Bennett Yang, MD
Rockville Plastic Surgeon