My left 35 year old breast implant is suddenly hard and very swollen and sore, should they be replaced? (photos)

My left breast implant changed and got hard and very high after 35 years. This happened about a month ago. It is very hard, changes shape and even though both implants are drooping, it is swollen, sore and hard and sits much higher than my right breast. I did call and schedule a mammogram and the mammogram came back perfectly normal. The radiologist said that I have silicone implants that sit under the muscle. Can I get both implants replaced? I am 66 and still want attractive breasts. Thank you.

CC and Possible Rupture

Good evening!

You definitely have a capsular contracture, and after 35 years the triggering event may have been an implant rupture. I would recommend a capsulectomy and replacement, and if you are interested a lift at the same time. Otherwise just the implant work and skip the lift.

I have attached a link to my Breast Augmentation Revision photo gallery which contains lots of pre- and postop capsular contracture photos for your review- hope it helps!

Should My Implants Be Replaced?

Thank you for your question? If you are having any pain or discomfort I would seek the advise of a board certified plastic surgeon. Immediately! Best of luck!

Dr Dhaval Patel
Double Board Certified
Plastic Surgeon
Hoffman Estates
Oak Brook

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Capsular contracture

It sounds like capsular contracture. You need to be assessed in person. Below is a link so that you can search for board certified plastic surgeons in your area. And yes, your implants can be replaced. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

My left 35 year old breast implant is suddenly hard and very swollen and sore, should they be replaced?

I appreciate your question.

You most likely have capsular contracture.  I would recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon for evaluation and treatment. He/she can send you for appropriate imaging if needed.   Since your implants have been in for 35 years, they need to be removed and replaced and a capsuelctomy needs to be performed.
The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Breast implants

this is most likely a capsule contracture and is very common with implants that are of the generation of silicone that was used 35 years ago. I would find a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area and I am sure they will suggest removing the implant and the capsule and replacing the old implant with a newer style implant.this was a very common occurrence with this older type of implant and is nothing to worry about, but it can be uncomfortable.

Good luck!

Mark T. Boschert, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

This needs urgent evaluation. It could be many things, device failure, capsular contracture, or something more serious. I would suggest getting an MRI and ultrasound first then of course going from there based on the results. Best of Luck

35 year old implants are hard

Thank you for the question and photo. You have a classic case of capsular contracture. This will require removal of the implants and the capsule surrounding them with or without replacement. Your doctor may discuss  a lift or mastopexy procedure as well.

Michael Morrissey, MD

35 yo breast implants

You have got capsular contracture, that could easily be related to a rupture of the implant. After 35 years, I would say it is a good idea to replace your implants anyway. For the best result, you would need a breast lift together with the replacement, since your nipples sit quite low right now.

Ciro Adamo, PhD, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Management of capsular contracture

thanks for sharing your question.

After 35 yr, these old implants need to come out. You may undergo replacement vs a lift.
Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon.

best wishes.