Should I go for a malar fat pad lift? (Photo)

I gained weight during my puberty years & as a result i now have a very full face(i was slender as a child). I would like to get definition to my face & i am considering having a Malar fat pad lift.Should i carry on with it?? I am in my 20's.

Volume & Contour

There are many options to improve volume and contour using fillers (Voluma, Radiesse, Perlane, Bellafill), implants or fat. You might want to start with a temporary filler to "try on" the look. I recommend seeing an expert for a formal consultation.  Best, Dr. Emer

Facial deflation and volumizing agents

Deflation of the face and regional volume loss can mimic gravitational descent. I think a more conservative approach with volumizing agents addressing the volume loss in the middle and lateral fat compartments as well as deep layering  along the zygoma and medial maxilla, will make a significant impact on your facial features. High viscosity agents like Voluma can make a significant improvement in a predictable fashion. Recontourung the eyelid-cheek junction with Volbella will further improve outcomes (Hyalublepharoplasty)

Costas Papageorgiou, MD, FACS
London Facial Plastic Surgeon

Should I go for a malar fat pad lift?

Hi, I have performed many facial shaping procedures using dermal fillers, facial implants (cheek implants, chin implants), liposuction and/or facelifts over the past 30 years.  From the photos, your cheeks are flat in the front, there is excess fat in front/below the cheeks and the chin is weak.  These combine to create an elongated, oval shaped face.

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.   A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.  I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  

Your photos do not show evidence of "jowls" which are the primary indication for some form of a facelift as described below.  I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts. 

If you have "jowls” these are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last).  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

• very small incisions and no incisions extend or are placed within the hair.
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery ( several days instead of weeks or months with the more invasive type facelifts mentioned)
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op

I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure.  When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face.

Hope this helps.