Sagging/Jowls at 25? (Photo)

This might be a bit of a stupid question but this has been driving me insane recently, I feel like I am developing slight sagging/jowls, on the left side of my face (see first pic). I do have a bit of facial asymmetry and seems as if that side of my face the cheek is fuller, could I just be imagining things?! Really wouldn't want jowl symptoms at this age but am noticing a slight dip in my jawline on that side. Thoughts? :(

JOWLS

Thank you for your inquiry and for providing photos. I do not believe there is any necessary surgery required for you just yet. I would recommend good skin care products to maintain your youthful elasticity. You can consult with a plastic surgeon for a higher end skin care line. Best of Luck

Sagging/Jowls at 25?

Hi, I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts on women in their late twenties and early thirties that had early "jowl" formation.  From the photos your cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front), there is excess fat below the cheeks and the chin is weak.  These factors combine to create a rectangular shaped face. 

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces.  Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.  I would combine liposuction to reduce the excess fat.

A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  In some cases where there is also some excess fat, a weak chin can create "pseudo jowls" because of the lack of chin support at the bony level.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.   I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick and highly effective.

If you had true "jowls”, these are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last).  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:
  • very small incisions
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery ( several days instead of weeks or months with the more invasive type facelifts mentioned)
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op
I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure.  When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face.

Hope this helps.

Cheek lift

Thank you for your question. I think you have a very pretty profile/jawline contour that does not require any procedure at this point. I'm not seeing any true jowls. At only 25 years-old, I'd suggest focusing on good quality skin care. You don't have to spend a fortune on it. Many plastic surgery practices have skin care centers affiliated with them so that you can receive medically-appropriate procedures, and receive counseling on the best products for your skin. I'd start there. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Sagging jowls at 25?

I do not think that you have anything to worry about. You definitely do not have any jowl formation. There may be a very slight difference between sides, but this is normal. Most of us have asymmetrical faces!

Andres Gantous, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon