Smoking and hair transplant?

I heard that smoking accelerate the hairs's cycle and the MPB hairloss,but also the hairs's cycle in the donor area (safe zone). If I stop smoking before and after my hair transplant, does the transplanted grafts from the donor aera will stay many years? or will they fall very fast because of the smoke? Really anxious about it, thanks in advance!

Smoking and hair transplants

Smoking can be detrimental to the outcome of hair transplants.

There has yet to be any carefully conducted studies on outcomes in patients who smoke. Many patients who smoke have successful hair transplants. However, a small proportion have poorer growth. Nicotine decreases blood flow to the scalp by constricting blood vessels. The ability of blood to carry oxygen is reduced on account of the carbon monoxide in the blood. These factors increase the chance of poor wound healing and increase the chance of infection, scarring and overall poor growth. 

When it comes to stopping smoking, it's clear that the longer one abstains the better. Stopping one month before is better than one week before and two months is probably even better. The optimal times have yet to be thoroughly studied. In general, stopping smoking at least 1 week prior to hair transplant surgery and restarting no sooner than 2 weeks after the procedure provides appears to provide significant benefit.

Individuals who smoke should check with their own hair transplant surgeons for advice on when and if they should stop. 

Hair transplant & smoking

It is believed that smoking affects the amount of proper blood flow to the transplanted grafts. Therefore patients are recommended to avoid smoking or limit smoking prior to the surgery and particularly one week after the procedure. During this period, revascularization occurs for grafts to survive and grow and receive its nutrient by diffusion. Thus, it is of great importance to ensure adequate oxygen and nutrient for the transplanted grafts by avoid smoking during this process

Koray Erdogan, MD
Istanbul Hair Restoration Surgeon

Listen to Mr. Mackey ... Drugs are bad.. ok.. Smoking is bad too.. ok

Listen to Mr. Mackey ... Drugs are bad.. ok.. Smoking is bad ok
If you made an investment in surgery to look better, you should make an investment not to jeopardize the results.  There is no absolute rule of how smoking may affect your transplanted hair, but it can't be good.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Smoking and Hair Restoration

Smoking is definitely detrimental to your overall health but in addition it effects the microvasculature and circulation in the body (like the blood supply to the scalp). We have definitely seen poor wound healing in surgery patients that smoke. If you are concerned about your health and the health of your hair, I would highly recommend not smoking. Good luck.

Grant Stevens, MD

Smoking and FUE hair transplants

Smoking slows/hinders healing and recovery from almost any procedure. This includes a hair transplant. FUE hair transplants are less invasive and may recover better. I did an extensive medline pubmed search and found nothing on natural androgenetic hair loss and smoking.

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist

Smoking with a hair transplant

Studies have been done which show that smoking reduces the blood supply to the scalp, The question is does smoking cause enough reduction of blood supply to impact hair loss. No one knows for sure

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Smoking and hair loss

There is the general consensus and scientific evidence that smoking is deleterious to the health in general. There are no real studies on hair transplants and smoking. However you will statistically have less years to enjoy a successful hair transplant if you continue to smoke. Quit now.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Smoking Causes Systemic Damage

Thank you for your question. As a physician, I would be remiss not to mention that quitting smoking is one of the best things you can do for your long-term health. In addition to its major risks, including cancer and heart disease, smoking can also affect the body's circulatory system, which can indeed impact your hair. Though there has not been extensive study on the topic, smoking has been observationally linked to hair loss. Quitting smoking is difficult, but the results are worth it. Best of luck to you.

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS