How Can I Sit After a Brazilian Butt Lift?

I am worried about the sitting after the surgery, I go to school and I can only take a week off. Is that enough time, or is there anything I can buy (like a pillow or something) that will make it easier for me to be in class and drive my car?

How do I sit after my Brazilian Butt Lift?

The Brazilian Butt Lift utilizes your own natural fat for the augmentation. One of the keys of the fat transfer is that it is incorporated and becomes your fat just in a better place!

The key is how do we maximize the amount of fat that is going “take” or survive for the augmentation. One of the things that can help increase the amount of fat that stays after the transfer is preventing any trauma to the buttock area, that includes sitting. The pressure of sitting can be harmful to the fat for the first couple of weeks after the transfer.

I typically have patients avoid sitting for two weeks after the surgery. They can walk and sleep on their belly, just no sitting. After the first two weeks they can sit for an hour with a 10 minute break in between sitting sessions. After six weeks they can return to all of their normal routines.

There are special pillows that patients can purchase that avoids any pressure on the buttock in the post-operative period so that they can sit at work and still protect their fat transfer procedure.

I hope this helps, be sure to discuss this with your board certified plastic surgeon.

Sitting Limited For 2 Weeks

It’s important to realize that fat cells are very fragile in the immediate post-operative period. This situation doesn’t improve until these fat cells have re-established blood supply with the surrounding tissue. In most cases this takes about two weeks to occur. At this point fat cells become less sensitive to the effects of pressure and are less likely to be damaged by sitting or lying on the buttocks.
For these reasons, we limit sitting or lying on the buttocks to one hour intervals for the first two weeks following surgery. When patients do sit in a chair they should rest their weight on their posterior thighs away from their buttocks. In addition they should utilize an inflatable pillow whenever possible. When sleeping they should be on either their side or abdomen to avoid pressure on the buttock.
These routines place obvious limitations on physical activity for post-operative patients. Unfortunately, failure to comply with these recommendations can result in fat cell death from pressure. This can result in contour irregularity and a less than optimal result.

Give yourself a couple of weeks to heal. Seek a plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of these procedures, has great reviews and photos, and is an expert in this field.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Sitting after Brazilian Butt lift

It is possible to sit after Brazilian Butt lift with a pillow, and I go over exactly how to do this during a consultation.  Ask your surgeon, because they will have specific (and different) recommendations. 

Dennis Dass, MD

Sitting after a brazilian butt lift.

1 week seems very unreasonable.  Surgeons vary in their post-operative restrictions. Although 2 weeks is a typical restriction, 3 weeks is not unreasonable. It is not so much that you cannot sit as it is more important to avoid pressure to the grafted areas which are where your wallet would typically sit if you put it in your back pocket. You will notice that if you sit on a hard stool, this is not a problem because you are sitting on the ischial tuberosities. However, when you sit in a soft reclined chair or seating such as your car, the wallet can be uncomfortable. So avoid this type of pressure to the grafted areas.

In your car, for short drives only, you can sit on a pillow on the edge of the seat.  Sitting for long periods in class is not advisable.  You should do the surgery on an extended break from school. 

Sitting Post BBL

Thank you for your question! I recommend not sitting for 2-3 weeks post BBL.nbest of luck!

Dhaval Patel
Double Board Certified
Plastic Surgeon
Chicago
Hoffman Estates
oak Brook

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Doctors, When I get my BBL how long after the surgery can I sit?

It is great that you are planning ahead of time.

Remember, everybody’s body reacts differently to surgery. It is common for doctor’s to recommend at least two weeks before returning to work, after a Brazilian butt lift, especially if your job requires a lot of sitting. Even so, it may be recommended that you sit using a pillow. This is because sitting, especially in a car or sofa, puts direct pressure on the grafted area, which could alter your results.

You should meet with your surgeon to discuss specifics regarding post-ops.

Sitting after a Brazilian Butt Lift (Fat Grafting to Buttocks)

For the fat grafted in the various regions and layers of the buttocks to survive it MUST
1. Avoid side to side shear forces and movements for as long as possible
2,. Blood vessels need to attach these fat cells and begin feeding then as soon as possible

The LONGER you can avoid compression / decompression and shifting of the grafted areas, the greater will be the amount of fat survival.

I prefer 2 weeks of not sitting on the buttocks - when you do sit sit on the upper thighs leaning forward to avoid forces on the grafted areas.

I would recommend not sitting for longer

I too would recommend discussing this with the surgeon you choose. Many of us have different recommendations. My recommendation would be for avoiding sitting for longer than that.

I always recommend to my patients to not try to squeeze this surgery in around your busy schedule if you want to get a good result. You need to plan around what needs to be done to obtain a good result. Otherwise, you are just wasting your time and money. I have seem too many patients come to me who have already had the procedure done once elsewhere, telling me that it didn't work because all of the fat went away. You have to do things right to make it work and to do it safely.  You don't want to have to have it done again. 

Brazilian Butt enhancement

You should ask your surgeon for his advise and recommendations and follow HIS/HER post operative instructions.

I tell my patients to buy a wide DOUGHNUT to sit on during the healing peroid