Do Silicone Overs Drop and Fluff?

I am 11 days post op. Just wondering if my current size and look well change much? If so, how? Larger, smaller? Am I still l swollen?

Breast Implants “Drop and Fluff”?

Thank you for the question.  Although I am not able to give you  advice specific to your situation, generally speaking, breast implants of both types (saline and silicone)  tend to “settle” over the course of the first few months after surgery.  As this process occurs, patients often do tell me  that they feel that their breasts appear larger;  thus the term "drop and fluff".  Also as the breast implants “settle”, the nipple/areola complexes appear to “rise” on the breast mounds.

Do breasts look the same after dropping?

Two things happen and seem paradoxical. As as the swelling goes down there will be some shrinkage but at the same time as the muscle relaxes your breast projection grows. In general the breast shape and size proportionality improves..

Breast implants initially after surgery when placed in a submuscular position often give superior fullness that corrects itself with time, the "fluff and drop" phenomena. In reality the pectoralis major muscle takes a while to adjust its size to accommodate the implant as well as occasional muscle spasm which keeps the implant projection higher than its final resting shape. Additional variables include:laxity of skin, size difference during prior pregnancies, position of implant,size of muscle, and size of implant.
As the muscle relaxes the projection of the implant often increases and the breast shape improves. Massage and use of a superior placed elastic strap can often make this process go faster.

Drop and fluff?

Hello. At only 11 days post op your current look and size will definitely change. I would expect the implants will definitely drop some which could be seen as larger to some patients. Over all it is best to give your implants time before worrying too much about their appearance. I would talk to your surgeon about these questions since he would know the most about your specific case.

Jaime Perez, MD
Breast Implant Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

Silicone breast implant over muscle

It is normal at 11 days to be bit swollen after silicone breast implants but this should resolve quickly. If you have not had children the skin will be tighter and take a longer time to stretch. Within a few months the upper pole will be less full and the breast will take on a more natural shape. This will happen more quickly with smaller implants and in women who have stretched the skin from breast feeding. At this point your breasts should be getting smaller or staying the same. If they are getting larger you should call your surgeon to examine you again to be sure there is no problem. Good luck!

Silicone Implants In Subglandular Plane and Settling Time

Implants in the subglandular plane will definitely stretch the envelope over time.  At 11 days, swelling is probably a factor as well.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Silicone implants

At 11 days post-op your breasts are probably swollen and tight.  They will soften over time and the swelling will improve, but it will probably take several months.

At 11 days after surgery you are still swollen and your implants will settle down more

At 11 days after surgery you are still swollen and your implants will settle down more.  You should wait full 3-4 months to see the final results.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Usually, yes

All implants usually drop and fluff.

When implants are first inserted, they sit high up because your tissues are tight and gravity hasn't taken effect. Over time, natural tissue expansion occurs to allow the implants to fall into place. By this time, your breasts will have taken on a more natural contour, where the lower breasts become softer and rounder. Please wait at least four months for this to happen.This process tends to occur sooner in one breast than the other, so don't be alarmed if you find that your left drops before the right or vice versa.

Settling implants

You can expect your implants to 'drop' with time and  hopefully it will still be satisfactory to you.  If you find yourself thinking they  are perfect and you're still early in your recovery, you may want to check with your surgeon about wearing a supportive bra to help maintain 'perfect' and avoid further settling.  Please let your surgeon help you through your recovery process.

Curtis Wong, MD