What is Selphyl?

I've only just heard of it a few days ago and it sounds great, but I don't see it mentioned anywhere on RealSelf....that makes me wonder. Is it safe and effective? Thanks for any input.

Selphyl

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Selphyl was introduced in 2009 . This involves taking a small sample of blood from the patient mixing it in a test tube to separate blood components, which takes about 20 minutes and then injecting some of the components into the area to be filled. Your body then makes collagen to fill the depression or fold. The process takes about 3 weeks from the date of injection to become visible. The advantage is no foreign material or animal derived chemicals are injected. It is supposed to last 12 or more months. I have not had much experience with this nor have my associates. For the hastle of drawing blood and only getting 12 months of results it does not seem to have much advantage over restylane which gives you immediate results vs. having to wait for 3 weeks.

Selphyl

Selphyl is a trademarked system for the preparation of platelet-rich plasma which is drawn from the patient's own blood which is mixed in a centrifuge for about six minutes, The plasma matrix is then injected under the skin with the purpose of stimulating collagen production. Since no foreign substances are involved, there is no risk of allergic reaction. Selphyl should have an effect lasting 12-15 months. The advantage is that Selphyl has a different operating principle. Fillers are like filling in cracked linoleum whereas Selphyl is working autologously to rebuild the foundation.

PRFM (platelet-rich fibrin matrix) or Selphyl

PRFM (platelet-rich fibrin matrix) or Selphyl has been around since 2009. It is a safe and effective procedure since it is made from the patient's own blood. The blood is drawn and spun in a centrifuge. Platelets are then isolated and used as an injection. The process roughly takes 10 to 20 minutes. Selphyl is then injected to trigger the body to create new collagen. The full effects of this procedure will be observed in 3 weeks after the injection has been given. Selphyl injection is safe since it does not have any foreign chemicals in it and it is made from the patient’s blood. Because of this, there will be little to no possibilities of adverse effects and allergic reactions developing. Down time is also very little. The results include reducing fine lines and improving acne scars. The effect of Selphyl lasts for about 12 to 15 months.

Robert W. Sheffield, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Selphyl is a Natural Filler for Wrinkles and Fine Lines

Selphyl is a product based on taking a blood sample and creating something called “Platelet Rich Fibrin Matrix”. The concept is that your blood has platelets and growth factor that stimulate your own collagen the way the skin is repaired when you get a cut. In my practice, I’ve been using it to improve lines, wrinkles and acne scars on the forehead, around the eyes, mouth and nose -- for the treatment of frown lines, crows feet, nasolabial folds, marionette lines and acne scars. In effect, it’s “healing” a deficit by concentrating the collagen stimulating factors in a specific area. Many people are enthusiastic since it’s their own blood therefore a true “natural” filler. It’s important to understand that there is usually a need for more than one treatment. Unlike fillers such as Restylane, the results are not seen immediately but occur over several weeks. In my practice, we use Selphyl for hand rejuvenation as well.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon