Should I get two different implant sizes to even out the difference in my breast or get the same size implants?

When getting a breast augmentation, is getting one implant bigger than the other a smart idea? One boob is almost 100 cc different. I did a consulatation and one doctor said he would put one implant about 75cc more than the other one to try to even them out. Another doctor said you can't fix a wrong with a wrong so he will not use two different sizes. I'm torn with what I should do because I want my breast to look even. Is it common to go with two different implant sizes?

I appreciate your question.

Without examining you , it is very difficult to give you an accurate answer. It is however, common to use two different implant sizes to help correct pre-op asymmetry. 

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Asymmetry

Without seeing you in person, impossible to give you a truly accurate answer. But it is quite common to use two different implant sizes to help correct pre-op asymmetry. It really depends on the extend of your asymmetry. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Different implant size

Thanks for your question.
It is common to use different implant size for different sized breasts.
Although a perfect symmetry may not be achieved with breast augmentation, differential implant size will help with size asymmetry.
Please select an experienced, board-certified plastic surgeon and learn about limitation, benefits, and alternatives to surgery.

Best regards.

Surgery

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well. I have to say that this depend on each surgeon and also each patient. If your breasts are different sizes, which is completely normal, I would put *on the small breast one size and on the bigger one, another smaller size* that's how it works most of the times. Because when surgeons perform the surgery, we have to try to give the patient almost the same size on both breasts

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

It is very common for me to use different implant sizes in women with different breast sizes.

Many women don't realize it, but asymmetry is the norm, not the exception. If one breast is noticeably larger than the other, of course, you need different implant sizes, and I would go with the surgeon who recommended different sizes. The only caveat is that different sized implants will not correct asymmetrical sagging. So if your larger breast is also saggier than your smaller breast (and this is often the case when there is a substantial size difference), you may need to consider a breast lift. Usually I perform the lift on both sides, but with more breast tissue and skin removal on the larger side and greater upward movement of the nipple. This is illustrated in the breast lift section of my website. I've attached a link.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Implant differences

With small asymmetries, I usually do not place different size implants. For larger differences, it is sometimes a good idea.

Breast implants of difference sizes can correct asymmetry

Great question. I understand your concern and confusion. Everyone has sisters; no one has twins. Using  implants of different sizes can help make your breasts look like sisters from the same family. In fact, close to 50 percent of the time I use different size implants.

I've taken care of women whose breast size varied by even more than 100 ccs, and they had satisfactory results. Please look at the link below to see before and after photos of women who got different size implants and how their asymmetry has been improved. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop on Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry

In my experience, breast asymmetry is very common in patients seeking  breast augmentation. In our office we use Vectra 3-D imaging and can try different sizes, shapes and even brands of breast implants to best achieve symmetry.One hundred cc is a lot of difference and  in those cases, I would consider a hybrid breast augmentation using the same size implants and fat grafting to the smaller size. Discuss options with your chosen plastic surgeon. Good luck. 

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

I have two different sized breasts that I want to balance.

This is a very common condition that many Plastic Surgeons have faced for years.  Without seeing you I can not be sure that the advice will be accurate, but in general if you barely see a difference in the two sizes expect that there may be a 25 to 30 cc.  difference, and a more noticeable difference will require a greater size difference.  In very large differences, you may have to reduce the larger breast as well as using two different implants.  This will need to be based on the width and height of the breast, as well as precise measurements of each breast that a good Plastic Surgeon should be taking.

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry

Breast asymmetry is a common problem and can be treated with different size breast implants to achieve better symmetry. It's impossible to create complete symmetry but the appearance of the breast will be enhanced by the use of different sizes.