What are the indications for PicoWay laser treatment?

Is PicoWay only for tattoo removal?

Picoway works for pigment removal, and tattoo removal

Picoway works for all the indications which have dermal/ epidermal pigmentation, which are responsive to traditional Q switched lasers. These include post inflammatory hyperpigmentation, nevi (Ota/ Ito/ Hori), melasma, lentigines and so on, and of course, tattoo removal. Only the Picoway is much faster and more powerful, in addition, the advantage in Indian skin, is the lesser potential for dyspigmentation (both hypo and hyper) with Picoway, as compared to the older lasers. 

India Dermatologist

PicoWay can also be used for reduction of pigmented lesions and for overall skin rejuvenation.

In addition to tattoo removal, PicoWay can also be used for reduction of pigmented lesions and for overall skin rejuvenation, including reducing fine lines and wrinkles, brightening skin tone, and improving texture. I recommend visiting a board-certified dermatologist for a consultation to see if you are an appropriate candidate for PicoWay. 

Picoway Indicators

Currently there are only 2 wavelengths of light for the picoway. The third is in development. So soon, all colors of tattoos would be the indication. Right now red, yellow, orange, dark blue, brown and black are the colors I have been treating. Also there are studies and new FDA indication for pigmented lesions which would be freckles, nevus of ota etc. I would contact your local physician with a picoway as there are many things that I personally treat that are not FDA indicated.

Chad M. Hivnor, MD
San Antonio Dermatologist

PicoWay is FDA cleared for tattoo laser removal

To date, PicoWay is FDA cleared for tattoo laser removal.

There are docs using it off label for other indications, however.

PicoWay is a picosecond laser that has been shown to target red ink, orange and yellow ink. 

PicoWay are capable of treating pigmented lesions in select patients

The PicoWay laser is only FDA approved to treat tattoos, but picosecond lasers can be effective at targeting certain pigmented lesions (such as sun spots and pigmented birthmarks) in some patients.  These lasers should not be used to remove moles so please visit a board certified dermatologist and laser expert to help guide you regarding what pigmented lesions are best treated with the PicoWay system.

Terrence Keaney, MD
Washington DC Dermatologic Surgeon