What are the advantages of the new PicoWay?

Would this laser be better for color tattoo removal in comparison to the other lasers such as the Picosure.

Adequate removal of any tattoo depends strongly upon multiple tattoo characteristics. The use of picosecond lasers has been a new type of laser technology that aims to reduce collateral damage to the surrounding tissues. This is because a picosecond laser can generate a laser beam that is 1000x shorter than the conventional nanosecond q-switched lasers. There is some evidence to suggest that picosecond lasers can be more effective at removing recalcitrant (persistent) tattoos; however, conventional q-switched lasers also do a very good job depending on the tattoo. The Picosure laser is a picosecond q-switched Alexandrite tattoo laser that delivers a laser beam at 755nm. The Picoway laser is also a picosecond q-switched tattoo laser, but it is an Nd:YAG laser, meaning that it has the ability to fire a beam at 1064nm AND 532nm. Why does this matter? Traditionally, the most effective general-use wavelength for tattoo removal has been the Nd:YAG 1064 nm laser because it can target black and dark blue tattoos very effectively but still avoid pigmentation issues that can occur in dark-skin individuals (such as hypopigmentation). Once you switch on the 532 nm component, then you can remove red/yellow tattoos effectively as well. Despite this, the Alexandrite 755 nm q-switched laser has actually been shown to be more effective at removing dark tattoos than the Nd:YAG, but it has the ability to cause more pigmentation changes and skin injury due to its wavelength; in addition, it is also unable to address red-colored tattoos adequately. For most amateur and dark tattoos, both lasers, being picosecond lasers, should do a very good job, so I think that you will probably be happy with either of them regardless. If you have a red-colored tattoo or you have dark skin, then the Picoway laser might be best. Best of luck with your search!

Clermont Facial Plastic Surgeon

Picoway is Quick

In short, Picoway in my experience is quicker and likely to achieve complete resolution of tattoos over traditional tattoo lasers.The picoway is a picosecond pulse duration versus a nanosecond pulse duration laser. The faster pulse duration theoretically breaks up the ink into smaller molecules, therefore it has the ability to absorb the ink better.I have used the traditional tattoo laser for years and without a doubt I have had much more success resolving tattoos quicker, but also completely where there is no shadow or residual pigmentation.My experience is that it takes ½ the treatments which means ½ the time to resolution.

Chad M. Hivnor, MD
San Antonio Dermatologist

PicoWay versus PicoSure

Both PicoSure and PicoWay are picosecond lasers. 

PicoSure has been touted as being superior for treating blue and green ink lasers.

PicoWay is marketed for its ability to target red ink, orange ink and yellow ink tattoos.

The PicoWay laser is the most advanced tattoo removal laser available currently.

The PicoWay laser is the most advanced tattoo removal laser available currently, and utilizes two different wavelengths in order to treat a wider variety of colors, including traditionally difficult to treat colors such as red, orange, and yellow. It also works faster than other lasers, producing results in about half the time as other kinds of treatments. 

Why is the PicoWay Great for Removing Tattoos

The PicoWay is a fantastic advancement in technology for the removal of tattoos.  It uses 2 wavelengths with the greatest power and shortest picosecond pulse duration available to breakup the tattoo into minute particles so that the body can naturally clear the ink.  This advancement has reduced the number of sessions by nearly half.

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

PicoWay can treat multiple colors, more effectively

The PicoWay utilizes the new picosecond technology that allows for more effective tattoo removal. The advantage of the PicoWay over other picosecond systems, such as the PicoSure, is that it has multiple wavelengths capable of treating multiple colors in a tattoo including red, orange, and yellow. - Dr. Keaney

Terrence Keaney, MD
Washington DC Dermatologic Surgeon