One month post op and my implants are still very high, is this normal?

My nipples look very low and point downwards with high sitting implants.. the bottom of my breasts seem empty and almost hang off the implants. maybe the pockets are too small? What are my options?? I have been massaging and wearing the band almost 24/7

Implants Still High?

Photos would be helpful, but by your description your implants do sound like they are still high. It is normal for your implants to sit high right after your surgery, particularly if they are under the muscle. Your implants should have settled at least a little from immediately after surgery, and wearing a band and massaging will also help. At one month it would not be unusual for your implants to still be a little high, but not very high. It may take up to 3 months or longer for them to completely settle. You should follow up with your surgeon and follow their recommendations. If your implants are still very high at 3 months it is unlikely that they will settle into a satisfactory position and it would be reasonable to consider a surgical revision at that time to lower the implant position.

High implants

Without photos it's hard to comment, but I'm always a bit concerned when the lower pole of the breast feels empty and the nipples are pointed down. Massage and wearing a bandeau is all that can be done at this point. Wait and consult with your PS. If a revision is required, you will have to wait several months to allow the wounds to heal and settle  

Arko Demianczuk, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

High Implants after Breast Augmentation

In spite of what I have read from other surgeons, in over 35 years of doing and teaching this procedure, I have never found that implants "drop." They need to be placed where they belong at the time of surgery. If this is done, the nipples should face normally forward from the first. Not dissecting low enough is a common problem that has to be carefully avoided. With what you describe, I would definitely discuss this with your surgeon.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

High riding implant

Hi Cat.88, Don't be discouraged.  It appears that your implants are probably placed under the muscle and therefore they're a bit higher than you would like in the lower pole of the breast appears empty as you described.  I would encourage you to continue massage and to wear the strap as much as you can.  I think the strap can be very helpful in providing pressure on the top part of your implants of they can be pushed down into the lower pole your breast.  Be sure that your plastic surgeon is also aware of your concerns and follow any instructions he might give you.  I think with more time your results will improve.

Alfonso Oliva, MD, FACS
Spokane Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. Without pictures or details about your operation, it can be hard to give you specific advice. However, I am going to assume that you had implants placed under the muscle. Sometimes if the implants are on the larger side, they can take up to three months to really settle into place. Make sure you are following up with your plastic surgeon and following instructions regarding postop care. As long as you are doing what he or she instructs, I think that with some additional time, you will likely end up being very happy with your results. All you need is time and patience. Hope this helps!

Implants riding high 1 month postop- Is this Normal?

Your nipples point downward because the implants are sitting high.

I humbly request you to not be discouraged. Large number of women experience differences in their breasts few days to few weeks after surgery and feel awful. After waiting for a few months, they finally get the results they were hoping for.

Implants initially sit high up because the chest muscles and surrounding breast tissues have not become accustomed to the implant resulting in tightness. You have to allow gravity to take effect, and overtime, natural tissue expansion will allow the implants to fall into place causing your breasts to appear more natural, softer, and rounder. Once that happens, the implant will sit directly behind the breast tissue in a natural 45:55 breast ratio. Currently, there is excessive upper pole fullness (55:45), so in time, this will change.

It is not uncommon for breasts to heal and adapt to implants at different rates. In fact, the process I described above can occur quicker in one breast over another.

You may have to wait 3-6 months for the final results. If the breasts still appear different at that point in time, then you may share your concerns with your surgeon and they should be able to fix the problem. It could be that your muscle attachments or the inframammary fold attachments are really strong and they may be preventing the implant from dropping completely.

Please note that for some of my patients with smooth implants, the implants had not settled until 5-12 months. So inward and downward breast massaging along with pole wraps above the breast do significantly help. Patience is key!

For now, maintain strict follow-up with your surgeon and share your concerns. Their recovery instructions should take precedence over all else you read here as they are better informed about your surgical details.

Hope this helps.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Breast augmentation - implants too high

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.Your implants are under the muscle and haven 't settled into place yet..Let your surgeon know and ask if you can start going braless. Often gravity helps to pull them down. It can take six weeks or more for implants to finally settle. So work with your surgeon and give yourself time. Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Breast augmentation recovery

You are still early in the recovery process, which varies from patient to patient.  Your implants will settle gradually over the course of approximately 3 months, though some women take longer.  Continue to follow the advice of your surgeon and inform him/her of any concerns you have so that adjustments can be made if necessary.  Best wishes.

Camille Cash, MD

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question. Right now, you are  early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Please Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you at this time. Then reassess final result at 6 months. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

Drop & Fluff

Depending on your pre op size, your tissue, size of implants, etc. the implants can sit high for a few months before settling down and softening into a more natural breast shape. when implants drop, this helps to make the nipples appear higher on the breast mound. I recommend that you let your Plastic Surgeon know about any ongoing concerns.
All the best