Sculptra Under Eyes

My doctor said I would benefit from using Sculptra for the little criss cross wrinkles and bagging under my eyes. I haven't read much on Sculptra being used in this area. She tried Botox, but it doesn't really do too much in that area. I just turned 44 years old and am fair-skinned. I am also concerned about excessive bruising in that area. Any advise for using Sculptra on this area for eye bags and wrinkles? Thanks!

Sculptra can reduce the appearance of eyelid hollows

Sculptra can actually reduce the hollows under your eyes. It is important to realize that sculptra achieves this effect indirectly in a manner very different from other fillers. Where fillers such as restylane or juvederm. Can be injected above or at the inferior orbital rim (the lower rim of your eyelids)to improve the tear trough area, sculptra should not be injected above or right at the margin of inferior orbital rim. I inject sculptra just under the inferior orbital rim over the upper cheek bone to reduce the size of the lower eyelid hollow. This technique can be very effective in reducing the appoearance of sunken eyes.

Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra injection to be avoided along under eyes

There have been reports of nodularity when Sculptra injection is performed along lower eyelids and is to be avoided. Experienced physician Sculptra injectors will not go above the orbital rim of the eye sockets. On the other hand, it may be okay to massage the recently injected Sculptra along the upper cheeks close to the orbital rim immediately after the Sculptra injection to conservatively achieve some volume restoration in the area.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon

Do not use Sculptra under eyes.

To Specka,

Hi! Sculptra was designed to fill in hollow cheeks, requires more than one treatment, and is irreversible (if you get a lump, there is no way to dissolve it).

1) Lower eyelid bags can be improved with injections, depending on your anatomy. The best filler for this area (also the one we have the most experience with) is Restylane, injected DEEPLY. It lasts a long time in this area (over 9 months), and it is potentially reversible if necessary.

2) The very fine lower eyelid criss cross lines don't respond well to fillers of any kind. For these, you need some combination of Botox, resurfacing with a dual modality erbium laser, or lid surgery.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Sculptra under eyes

There have been several reports of nodules under the eyes following Sculptra injections.

When Sculptra first  came into use in the US, about 8 years ago, injecting (off label) under the eyes was common, but due to the nodules, this area is no longer injected with Sculptra.

Injecting Sculptra over the cheek bone will pull slightly some skin from the lower cheek upwards and some of the  lower lid downwards, thus tightening the lower lid skin slightly.

Injecting Restylane or Juvederm  over the bone of the tear trough will further tighten the eyelid skin.

If all this still isn't enough, CO2 Laser resurfacing,  or Thermage can be very helpful.

Always make sure that you are being treated by  an experienced, Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon.

Eugene Mandrea, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Sculptra training specifically recommends that it not be used in the eyelids or lips

Sculptra was just released for cosmetic use.

I have just taken the new training module. As most trainers have recommended, it should not be used in the lips or eyelids. 

Enough said.

Nathan Mayl, MD (retired)
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra For Under the Eyes or Tear Trough?

Sculptra does well for cheek augmentation and global loss of volume.  However, it should not be used in patients for under eye areas, including the tear trough, as the skin is very thin and the chance of a visible nodule or granuloma is higher.  In addition, the mobile area around the eye is much more likely to clump the product and the use of Sculptra should be avoided.

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra is not recommended for use under eyes

We generally do not recommend the use of Sculptra under the eyes, due to a higher risk of nodule formation and its irreversible nature. Instead, a laser resurfacing treatment or hyaluronic acid filler such as Restylane may be a better bet. I recommend visiting a board-certified dermatologist with experience treating the eye area for an in-person consultation to find the best treatment plan for you.

Karen Beasley, MD
Baltimore Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra around eyes

I do not use Scuptra to address eyelid laxity, wrinkles, bagging(festoons). It has no place for use in the soft periorbital skin.   Options to consider would include Belotero injections into the fine lines or using some energy based technology to tighten loose eyelid skin.  Options we consider with our patients include: customized Ultherapy treatments, Genesis treatments, RF treatments such as Pelleve, and skin resurfacing with ablative lasers.  Severe laxity may even require surgical correction.

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

Sculptra prone to complications under the eyes

Sculptra would not be my choice for the thin skin under the eyes.

My suggesions include:

Use a good eye cream, preferably one with retinol
Wear sunglasses to prevent further sun damage to this delicate skin
Consider an energy-based procedure to tighten the skin (eg Ultherapy, radiofrequency)
An HA filler in the tear trough and cheek can help to "camouflage" the bag

Sculptra under the eyes

Sculptra is good for many things and in the right hands, the areas under the eyes can be treated skillfully.  However, with so many good hyaluronic acid fillers that can be easily reversed, the area around the eye is not recommended as an area of treatment with Sculptra.  

Sculptra is a wonderful drug in 'thicker' parts of the face.  

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon