Sculptra for tear trough/under eye, safe now?

1. I read some terrible stories here for having Sculptra under eyes, most cases happened 3-4 years ago. 2. Many Doctors here are saying Sculptra are complete safe these days due to the reasons: a. proper diluting ratio than few years ago b. Depth of injection c. appropriate massage. So my question is, Sculptra is safe for tear trough/ under eye area now? I just had Sculptra done few days ago and everything seems to be normal, but I do worry about the potential problem which may happen few months later.

Sculptra is not indicated for injection uner the eyes

Sculptra is a deep facial injection and is indicated in the mid face, temples, and jowls.  Sculptra is not indicated i the tear trough or under eye area where the skin is very thin.  For the best results please find a board certified dermatologist with a great deal of experience in cosmetic injections.

Sculptra for tear trough/lower lid not recommended

I personally would not use Sculptra even diluted for tear trough lower lid depression as there is more risk in this area for nodule formation. Why increase your risk when there are more readily available fillers like Jeuvederm or even fat transfer. Most important is go to a board certifed dermatologist or plastic surgeon with experience in filler injections and a plastic surgeon if considering fat transfer.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Sculptra for tear trough/under eye safe now?

I would not recommend having Sculptra injected under the eyes. In general, it is best to avoid having Sculptra in the following areas:

1) Underneath the thin skin of the lower eye
2) Lips
3) Areas close to the lips

Sculptra is safe, but not any safer for under the eyes at this time. There are many other ways to improve the appearance of the tear trough. I would advise using Restylane. It is a fantastic filler for the tear trough, and can lead to a very nice result. Thanks and good luck!

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane

I do not recommend Sculptra for the tear trough area!  There are safer injectables like Restylane for filling the hollow of the tear trough.  

Dr. Grant Stevens              Marina Plastic Surgery Associates                Marina del Rey, CA The Institute

Grant Stevens, MD

Sculptra for tear trough/under eyes

Opinions may vary from doctor to doctor about the use of Sculptra under the eyes.  I do not recommend using Sculptra under the eyes because I do think it is possible to get visible bumps in that area.  This does not mean that it would necessarily occur with every patient, but it can be a troublesome issue if it does happen.  I prefer using hyaluronic acid fillers (like Restylane) under the eyes because it is a soft gel and I think it gives better results in that area.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon