Why is coolsculpting so expensive?

Why is this non-invasive procedure so pricey? It seems unreasonable when the process has to be repeated several times. One session only helps 20% ? It takes more out and doesn't have to be repeated several times. Thank you for your answer. I am on social security, 64, weigh 160, 5'7" have frustrating weight -- living on an 800 calories diet. Exercise 4 times a week. fat walking and gardening. This glue fat wont leave!!! Please advise on this. Thanks, Mel

Cost of Coolsculpting

Coolsculpting is the best nonsurgical fat reduction procedure. There are patients who can not, should not, or will not have a surgical procedure such as liposuction. The 20% of the fat cells killed per cycle may be well worth it for a patient to look and feel better. The decision should be the patient's own, and the center should provide as much information as possible in order to ensure that a patient is an appropriate candidate and can make an informed decision. Consult in person with a board certified physician who can offer both surgical and coolsculpting options to ensure that you have the best possible treatment plan.

Coolsculpting and cost

I realize that it may seem very costly to you but you should also realize that it is a great alternative to liposuction.  Liposuction is typically done in a surgery center, hospital or office.  It can be pretty uncomfortable, invasive and more expensive.  So many people do not want the downtime that is involved with surgery and that is where Coolsculpting has a great advantage.  You don't have to miss work or even miss working out after Coolsculpting.  If done well with some overlap of treatment areas, it may give the appearance of 20% or better improvement.  It is a great option for specific trouble spots that are not improved with diet or exercise.  Good luck and make sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon for a thorough consultation and to understand all your options.

Coolsculpting and expense

Thanks for your question. On the surface, it does appear to be an expensive treatment. What I point out to patients is this technology was developed by two Harvard dermatologists and took extensive research/development and clinical testing to bring to market. Thus it will be like any other sort of new technology. The device is expensive for the company to make, so treatments have to cover the cost of the technology. One thing I point out is that this technology is relatively very safe relative to surgical treatments so some people prefer having two or three treatments to an area and not take the risk of surgery. It is a wonderful non-invasive option. I do recommend to all my patients to budget properly and to see a physician with experience in this technology to get optimal results. 

Omar Ibrahimi, MD, PhD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon

Cost of CS

The cost of Coolsculpting depends on how many areas you are having treated. Each area can vary from $600 to $750 dollars. You should speak to your practitioner about how many sessions you will need on each area as well so that you have realistic financial expectations.
My best,
Sheila Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Price of Coolsculpting

The price of Coolsculpting is $750 or $1500 per area depending on the size of the area.  However, compared to a ten or fifteen thousand dollar surgery Coolsculpting is far more reasonable alternative for the patient and has no systemic side effects and is non-invasive.  For the best cosmetic results please consult a board certified physician with experience with this procedure.