Would a coolsculpting procedure be possible on HIV related lipodystrophy on the mons pubis?

I recently saw a plastic surgeon who felt a non-invasive procedure would be better. She was able to grab at least 2-3 inches of excess fat/skin. I don't want this type of fat to be too dense and not show any results. At the same time she admitted not having any experience with HIV patients and I don't want her intimidation of my status to influence a non invasive technique. I truly want this fat gone for self esteem issues.

CollSculpting the Mons Pubis in a patient with HIV

Thank you for your question.  We have been fortunate in our office to have obtained good results using the CoolSculpting device as an option on the Mons Pubis.  Best to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  They will be able to give you a wide choice of options, (CoolSculpting, Liposuction, Direct excision, etc.). Review your reasonable goals with them, and together you will make a plan.

Coolsculpting for mons pubis

This is not an area that is FDA approved so the possible success is not clear. Proceed carefully, and consult in person with an experienced board certified physician who can offer both surgical and nonsurgical options so you can have the best treatment plan.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Would CoolSculpting be possible on HIV related lipodystrophy on mons pubis?

You would need to be examined to give you the best advice about performing a CoolSculpting procedure on the mons pubis for HIV related lipodystrophy.  From your description, it does sound as if there is enough fat that could be drawn into the CoolSculpting applicator to treat you.  In general, a single treatment of liposuction can normally remove more fat than a single treatment of CoolSculpting, but multiple CoolSculpting treatments could give the same result as a liposuction procedure.  Of course, this varies with the amount of fat present and the individual.  CoolSculpting is non-invasive so is less risky than liposuction.  Liposuction also would involve a longer recovery process.  If cost was not an issue, you could always try the CoolSculpting first to see how much improvement you get and could always have liposuction done later.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon