Should I get a tummy tuck with chest surgery?

Hi, I am transgender, FTM, and I am having male reconstructive chest surgery by a highly recommended and sought after plastic surgeon in San Francisco. I have the option of adding a mini tummy tuck or a full tummy tuck, at my request. My main concern is time under anesthesia and increased risk. I am forty five, in good shape, no prior surgeries. Any advice is helpful. Thank you in advance.

Combining a Tummy Tuck With FTM Top Surgery

It is not uncommon to combine the procedures you are inquiring about. Combining these procedures decreases anesthetics, costs, and recovery time.  The most important decision to be made before performing any combined surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal #candidate. Weight, and more specifically body mass index (BMI), need to be considered when deciding. For instance, studies have shown that patients with BMI > 30kg/m sq (placing them in the obese category) have a higher complication rate. Therefore, it is important for patients to be as close as possible to their normal body weight prior to surgery. Not only will this decrease risks of complications, but will also enhance the aesthetic results. Further, normal body weight is different from one patient to another.

Lastly, it is crucial you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with male breast #reduction. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your procedure. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The discussion as to whether or not to perform a tummy tuck in conjunction with top surgery is one that you should have with your plastic surgeon.  In general, it is OK to do this but there are many variables to consider, and as such, a detailed conversation with your surgeon is recommended. 

Combined chest and abdominal surgery

In general, this combination of procedures into one surgery is very commonly performed. The combination will give you better results and a more masculine contour (I assume that is what you want).
I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon. Your surgeon should have a detailed pre-op check list for you to follow. Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you will be healing following surgery.

Combined chest and abdominal surgery