How long do you need to wait to have Fraxel before/after having a facelift?

I am worried that having Fraxel will harm the healing process of the facelift. Thanks!

No Wait Necessary When Done Properly

Thanks for your question, jelllyb. The good news is that there's no real reason to wait to undergo Fraxel after a facelift. In fact, many surgeons have been known to administer it during surgery, after the incisions have been closed and while the patient is still under anesthesia. Because facelift incisions are usually made behind the hairline, the risk of scar irregularities brought on by Fraxel are relatively small. Your surgeon should be able to cover your incisions so they are not affected by the laser. However, you should still see a qualified professional for this option — even better if it's the same surgeon who performs your facelift. Good luck!

San Diego Dermatologist

Thank you for your question. We often do laser treatments on face lift patients right after surgery while still under anesthesia, avoiding the incision area. It compliments the result of the lift beautifully. After the incisions have healed, about 4 weeks after, we treat the remaining area. Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeons office for a laser treatment plan that is best for you.

Fraxel and Facelift

You asked an excellent question! While a face lift helps get rid of loose skin, it does nothing to help the actual skin tone, texture, and pigmentation - all which contribute to aging.  I recommend to my patients having Fraxel treatments completed one month before surgery or one month afterwards.  Please consult with a board certified dermatologist who has expertise in these lasers for the best cosmetic results.

Facelifts and Lasers

In our practice I am the laser guy who lasers all our face lift patients.  We get amazing results and I have yet to see a problem lasering (if done properly) immediately after a face lift.  Please only see an expert for this.  Best, Dr. Emer.