How long after having Fraxel is it safe to have sun exposure?

I will be going to Hawaii 2 months after a fraxel treatment. Yes, I will wear sunscreen. However, sunscreen can wear off during the day or while swimming so I want to be 100% safe. And can sun exposure after fraxel seriously harm/discolor my skin?

Take Precautions on Vacation

It's OK to embark on a beach vacation 2 months after Fraxel, but, as you mentioned, it's still important to take precautions to prevent further damage to your skin. I recommend using a broad-spectrum sunscreen of at least SPF 30 with a physical blocker (think zinc oxide rather than oxybenzone). Be sure to reapply every couple of hours, especially if you've been swimming or sweating. I recommend asking the dermatologist where you're getting your Fraxel treatment for sunscreen advice, because he or she likely has a top-quality product at hand. If you're relaxing on the beach or by the pool, stay under an umbrella or invest in a wide-brimmed hat, which thankfully are in style right now. And try to stay indoors or at least in the shade in the middle of the day, when the sun's rays are at their most intense. With the right precautions, you should have no problem preserving your beautiful results. Have fun and be safe!

San Diego Dermatologist

Fraxel

Thank you for your question.  I recommend that my patients avoid sun exposure for three months after Fraxel treatment.  Even after this time period, a patient can damage the skin because of sun exposure.  Please use SP30 or above with zinc oxide or titanium dioxide.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL 

Fraxel

Fraxel is a laser skin rejuvenation treatment that resurfaces your outer skin, erasing imperfections. It also encourages the production of collagen, a protein found in connective tissue.The result is clearly visible lines, folds and wrinkles. Fraxel laser skin rejuvenation is a non-invasive technique that affects only about 20 percent of the facial skin exposed to it. The most common side effects of Fraxel laser treatment are swelling and skin redness, which should subside within a couple of days. Other temporary side effects may include minor itching, dry skin, peeling or flaking, and a bronzed skin appearance. The risk of infection or scarring is very limited. You should stay out of the sun 2-4 weeks.

Elliot M. Heller, MD

Fraxel and Sun Exposure

Fraxel is a fabulous laser for reducing pigmentation and fine lines.  We call it the "magic eraser" in my office.  However, strict sun avoidance is important to keep the sun damage from recurring or getting new pigmentation and wrinkles.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist with expertise in laser for guidance with your particular skin.

Fraxel and Sun Exposure

I tell all my patients to avoid direct sun exposure for 2-4 weeks for nonablative and 3-6 months for ablative lasering.  You put yourself at risk for scar and pigmentation changes.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Thanks for your question.  In my office we perform procedures using the Fraxel dual laser (1550/1927) for primarily photodamage and also fine lines and wrinkles.  We caution patients to undergo the procedure while they have normal non-tanned skin and to maintain their skin the same way for at least 4 weeks following the procedure.  While you are in Hawaii I would suggest you not only reapply sunscreen on the face (I assume you are talking about treating that area) every two hours, but also seek shade during the times the sun is at its strongest, and wear a wide brimmed hat to further protect the area that you treated.  This will also allow you to protect your Fraxel investment as excess sun exposure leads to the very problems Fraxel is designed to treat. Best of luck to you and enjoy your trip to Hawaii!

Alix J. Charles, MD
Hinsdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. There are different depths of treatment with this laser that require different amounts of down time from the sun. Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeons office for treatment options and aftercare.