Should I have botched Restalyne under eyes fixed by same doctor or get a second opinion?
Doctor Answers 6
Issues with fillers
Fixing botched restylane under the eyes
Restylane and Lumps
Restylane is a great filler but there are always potential side effects, especially in the delicate area under the eye. Bruising or swelling can develop, especially if you forgot to discontinue a blood thinner, vitamin, or fish oil, before the injection. If you feel comfortable I would return to your dermatologist for Hyaluronidase injections to allow them to fix the problem for you. Perhaps Belotero would be a better choice in the future since it is such a fine injection especially for the area under the eyes.
You might also like...
Unexpected response to Restylane under eye filler
As expert as many of us can get in any procedure, every patient will have an individual response to a treatment. It is dismaying to us as doctors when any patient has an adverse outcome. But it is, in all honesty, not something we have complete control over. The vast majority of patients who get under eye fillers do extremely well, but when you are the one of few who has an unexpected reaction, then it feels like the procedure was "botched".
Patients don't always know if they will react strongly to fillers, but once you know that, then it's a good plan to alert your doctor if you have any future injections so the filler amounts can be adjusted.
The following is in NO way meant to suggest you are responsible for unexpected swelling, but it does provide some guiding recommendations for anyone contemplating fillers.
- Prior to filler injections, we always recommend that our patients stop taking any supplements that cause thinning of the blood and also refrain from over the counter anti inflammatory medications like ibuprofen or similar pain killers (Tylenol is okay)
- Don't drink alcohol the day before, of or the day after fillers
- Stay out of the jacuzzi, sauna or gym the same day - you want to keep your body temperature normal
- Icing after injections can help if you tend to swell or bruise
- Bromelain or Arnica helps resolve bruising
- Don't massage filled areas unless instructed to do so
- See us as soon as possible if you see any red lumps or have extended swelling
Best of luck