3 weeks post lipo, do not want to take off garment

Hello, I am approx 3 weeks post of for abdo lipo. The PS gave me the go-ahead to wear my garment 12 hrs a day. I don't like how I feel when I take it off. Specifically, my back hurts and my skin is so sensitive that it makes all tops uncomfortable. Is this normal? Is it Concerning for any reason?

Post Liposuction Irregularities, Swelling -- Try Massage, Exilis Ultra/Cellutone or Venus Legacy With Your Compression

You can wear your garment as long as you feel comfortable, I say the longer they are worn the better the outcome and faster the swelling resolves. Best, Dr. Emer.

Liposuction - can I keep the garment on?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction garment.
  • Everyone heals differently -
  • Some people can get rid of their garment at 2 weeks.
  • Others wear it for 3, even 6 months.
  • It depends entirely on what your body tells you -
  • And your is telling you to keep it on for now -
  • Listen to your body. Our bodies give us a lot of important information!
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Compresion Garment

Hello and Thank You for your Question!Discuss your
goals and options and follow your board certified surgeon  post-op
instructions completely.Not wearing your compression garment after surgery might not seem
like a big deal, but in fact, it is very important to your surgical
result! I ask all of my patients to wear a compression garment after
their Liposuction around the clock for the first two weeks post op. This garment is essential to getting the best possible surgical result.I hope this helps answer your question,

James S McAdoo DO FACOS

•  20 years experience
  • 33,000 operative cases
  • AOA board-certified plastic surgeon

Wearing compression garment longer

Doctors very widely on the protocol of how long patients should wear compression garments. In my practice I ask patients to wear them for two weeks but they are welcome to wear them longer if they find them comfortable. Changes in skin sensation are common and inevitably settle down though the process can take weeks to several months at times. I see no reason why you should not be able to wear your compression garments as long as you want. Do  check with your plastic surgeon. Best, Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Post liposuction garment utilization

Your experience mirrors my patients post lipo experience.  I tell my patients that there is an initial innate contempt of their garment and they conspire to burn it as soon as they are "released" from their bondage.  But that loss of support and the"gitters" they experience without the garment makes them crawl back to the garment like going back to an old boyfriend!  This sounds very normal and in my experience you will need to wean yourself off of your garment. I recommend transitioning into Spankx.  Of course you need to continue close follow up with your surgeon and follow their recommendations. They are familiar with your case.  Best wishes

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction/ Liposculpture/ Fat Transfer/ Vaser/ Hi Definition Procedures/Liposuction Revision/Tummy Tuck/Body Contouring

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Garment after liposuction

Most patients have a love-hate relationship with their garment. Initially it may seem bothersome, but I find that many patients like wearing their garment beyond the early weeks, long after most of the initial swelling has subsided because it's comforting to wear it. I doubt your surgeon will object to your wearing of the garment for a longer period. You may want to consider wearing an off-the-shelf support garment, such as a Spanx or other brand for the comfort it gives you while your treated areas are recovering. Remember, it takes many months for those areas to recover fully.

Kimberly Finder, MD
San Antonio Dermatologic Surgeon