I am feeling extreme arm soreness and fatigue, I had a mommy makeover 24 days ago why? (photo)

I wake up with a lot of energy in the morning but by the time it hits 1:00p.m-3:30p.m I feel extremely fatigue and tired ! And my arms feel so sore from my shoulders down to my arms. Is this normal ? (Tummy tuck breast lift and breast implants)

Concerns after mommy makeover surgery…

Congratulations on having undergone the mommy makeover procedures.  Although this forum will not replace in-person evaluation (by your plastic surgeon) when it comes to providing you with good diagnosis and advice, some general thoughts may be helpful to you.

I find that many  patients ( and their plastic surgeons) underestimate the actual recovery time associated with extensive operations such as tummy tuck surgery. The operation is associated with a very significant physical, and often "emotional", recovery period.

I ask my tummy tuck patients to refrain from any heavy-lifting or strenuous exercise for 6-8 weeks to prevent any complications and ensure proper healing.  Even at 2 months post op patients will report that they have not reached full strength/stamina. It may be 4-6 months before patients reach full strength.   

Again, your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to returning to specific activities. My best suggestion: start slow,  gradually ease back into activities, and listen to your body as you do so.   Best wishes.  

Fatigue After a Mommy Makeover

Thank you for your question and photograph. The Mommy Makeover is a major surgical procedure, and therefore your body will need time to heal. At 24 days post-op, you are still in the early stages of healing, and feeling sore or fatigued is normal. You should slowly start getting your energy back over the next several weeks. However, if you have further concerns, I would suggest that you contact your operating surgeon to schedule a follow-up appointment. 

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Energy Levels post-op

Hi itss.leesliiee and congratulations on your Mommy Makeover procedure! It is definitely normal feeling tired and fatigued in the afternoon, especially since you just had surgery. Even though it has been 24 days, you are still too early in the healing process. Your body is recovering, so rest assured this is normal. Please follow-up with your surgeon if you are still concerned. I wish you the best of luck! 

Peter Newen, MD

Healing process

Though you are 24 days out from surgery, your body is still healing.  It will take several weeks for you to get your normal energy levels back.  Think about when you have a cold, your body needs to heal so it uses your energy to do that and forces you to rest.  Your body is doing the same thing in order to recover and heal from your procedures.  Try to give yourself rest periods throughout the day or if possible.  Listen to your body.  It's trying to tell you that you're doing too much.

Camille Cash, MD

Healing and Activity Following a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.   

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. #MummyTummy is a term given to modified tummy tucks which can use liposuction and skin tightening with radiofrequency such Vanquish, Vela3, thermage, thermiRF and others.  The actual fat contouring can be done non-surgically as well with #UltraShape or Cool-Sculpting.
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain.
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Recovery after mommy makeover

Thanks for posting your question about recovery after your procedure.

Abdominoplasty and breast augmentation/pexy are wonderful procedures to help achieve body contouring goals. That being said, recovery from these operations requires quite a bit of your body's excess energy reserves. I recommend that you check in with your surgeon and make sure that nothing more concerning is amiss. Your energy and stamina should progressively get better.

Rachel Streu, MD

I am feeling extreme arm soreness and fatigue, I had a mommy makeover 24 days ago why?

I am so sorry that you are experiencing excessive tiredness. Your body is trying to heal after major surgery, and this is to be expected.  Talk to your surgeon about vitamins and exercise.  This will help build your stamina and help you recovery.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Mommy make-over - still tired and sore after three weeks

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• I am sorry you are so tired -
  • What you describe is common after major surgery - especially muscle surgery like a tummy tuck.
  • Your arms are probably tired because you are using your arms to compensate for your healing tummy - and they wear out as the day goes on.
  • You should see your surgeon to be checked however to be sure nothing else is brewing.
  • You should not be doing anything you do not have to do - so you can regain your energy.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS