Is this hyperpigmentation or leftover areola from my anchor lift? (Photo)

3 months post op. My PS says it will fade. Please advise!

My scar has nipple color, what do I do?

Hi Jessica, Thanks for your question and photos. It seems that your scar is fine, but there appears to be pigment or color from your previous areola remaining. It could easily be corrected in the office under local sedation with a small amount of skin removal. It sometimes can't be completely removed during the original surgery. If you remove too much the scar can become wide and look worse. Hope this helps!   All the best, Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS #breastlift #scar Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

It is difficult to tell from the photo. Your preop photos and perhaps photos of you surgical markings would be very helpful to determine this.

Leftover areola

is what it most likely is, especially if your pre-op areola was huge.  Try not to focus on it and instead appreciate your new shape and look.  The area can be addressed down the road once your tissue relaxes and allows for an excision without tension.  In the meantime, allow time to see if it will fade and if the gallery is wrong in its assessment but if it doesn't fade, an excision down the road will resolve it.

Curtis Wong, MD

Residual Areola

Hello,That is very clearly left over areola. This happens on occasion and is likely not an avoidable error. Later on as your skin relaxes, it may be possible to remove. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Left over Areole skin or scar following breast lift

thanks for your photo and your terrific question. The color discoloration is indeed remaining areola skin that can occur along the vertical portion of the breast lift scar. This can occur often if the diameter of the areola is large. Often times a simple revision can be utilized by excising a small area, however, if it covers a significant area, a full excision of all the breast lift scars will be required to mobilize the skin edges.

Sean T. Lille, MD

Pigmentation along the Vertical Incision of a Breast Lift....What is it?

Thank you for your question and photo.  Sometimes, if your areola before surgery was large, it is difficult to remove all of the pigmentation at the time of the lift.  If this occurs, your plastic surgeon should discuss this with you.  If the pigmentation is areolar pigmented tissue, it can be removed with a simple revision procedure in most cases.  Signs of areolar pigment are the color, texture, glandular elements, and other unique features of areolar skin compared to just hyperpigmentation.Your doctor can also treat you with medication to fade hyperpigmentation if it is present.  I would revisit your doctor to see if bleaching agents (hydroquinone-based) will be helpful.   These bleaching agents will only lighten hyperpigmentation, not natural areolar pigmentation.Hope this helps!    Dr. Bresnick

Stephen Bresnick, MD