What is a good scar gel for breast augmentation scars.

My Surgeon office sold me Silagen scar refinement system gel sheeting and Skin Medica scar recovery gel, it was $165.00 for both, are they both necessary?

Embrace Active Scar Defense & bioCorneum

After breast augmentation surgery, patients want to make sure their scars heal nicely so that they have the best aesthetic outcome of their procedure. For patients prone to bad scarring, Embrace Active Scar Defense can be a great solution. Embrace actually alters scar formation by targeting scar tension, which is the second most important factor in scar development. It is the only product indicated by the FDA for hypertrophic and keloid scarring. For patients who are not as prone to bad scarring, bioCorneum can be very helpful to diminish scar appearance. BioCorneum is a silicone scar gel with sunscreen. The added sunscreen helps to prevent any sun damage or discoloration as the scar is healing. It is important to follow-up with your board-certified plastic surgeon during your recovery to ensure you are healing properly and are happy with the results of your procedure. Good luck!

San Jose Plastic Surgeon

What is a good scar treatment?

I recommend that all my patients, post-surgery or injury use ScaRxtape. It is both economical(less than $20) and easy to use, not messy. I recommend that they wear it over their scars for about 2-3 months changing it as necessary every week or so. 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Scar Therapy Cream Recommendation

Hello 'soooz', thanks for your question.  I personally recommend Biocorneum cream for postoperative scar therapy.  It has a nice blend of sun block, moisturizer, and silicone gel which are all synergistic in maximizing the healing and appearance of these scars.  It is only available in physician offices and varies in price based on the sizing of the container.  We carry it in my office so let us know if you would like to stop in and pick some up!

-Dr.92660

Scar treatment

I also recommend Silagen for scar treatment because it is the purest of medical grade silicone and really does a great job of settling the scars.

Susan Kaweski, MD

Scar cream after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  I recommend my patients use a silicone scar cream like Biocorneum beginning 3 weeks after surgery.  The results are great with this scar cream.  Best of luck to you.

Chad Robbins, MD

I recommend patients use anything that has a high content of silicone as the main ingrediant. For example silicone strips or kelocote gel. Also avoide exposing your incisions to UV light. 

Regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Scar Management

Although those items are potentially effective, they are obviously expensive and probably unnecessary. The use of paper tape is the most effective and cheap way to manage your scars. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Scar cream

The scar cream that we recommend for all of our patients is Biocorneum. This is a medical grade product that provides excellent results.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

What is a good scar gel for breast augmentation scars?

Hello! Thank you for the question! It is common for scars to fully mature for up to a year. In the meantime, there are a few things that may help to ameliorate your incision/scar. The most proven (as well as cheapest) modality is simple scar massage. Applying pressure and massaging the well-healed scar has been shown to improve the appearance as it breaks up the scar tissue, hopefully producing the finest scar as possible. Other things that have been shown to add some benefit, albeit controversial, are silicone sheets, hydration, and topical steroids.  Mederma, ScarGuard, Embrace, and UltaMD seem to have shown some benefit in many of my patients. I typically allow after 4-6 weeks postop and once fully healed. In addition, avoidance of direct sunlight to the incision will significantly help the appearance as they tend to discolor with UV light during the healing process.

If unsightly scars are still present after approximately a year's time, other things that your surgeon may consider are intralesional steroid injections, laser, or just surgical revision of the scar itself. Lasers may also be an option for the appearance of your scars. If still no result, consideration for lasers, steroids, or scar revision may be entertained. Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Scar Treatment

Both of these treatments work well.  It is important to use them daily.  I usually have patients use the scar treatment for three months.  Good luck!

Melissa Doft, MD