Is my incision infected? Breast augmentation 5 weeks post op (Photo)

I am 5 weeks post op and I noticed some scant blood tinged drainage from a spot on my incision. What are the chances that my implant will also be infected?

Breast augmentation incision

It appears that you have a minor local wound problem called a stitch abcess: one of your buried sutures in popping through the skin.  See your plastic surgeon for advice and/or treatment.  Good luck

Stitch abscess

It looks like you may have had a stitch abscess. Often this goes on to heal with local wound care.  If you think it is more than that, then you should see your surgeon.

Is my incision infected? Breast augmentation 5 weeks post op

probably a suture spit. However you need to be examined by your surgeon!! Do not rely on internet advicce from people who have not examined you.

5 weeks post -op

Thank you for the question and photograph as well as the discussion. It is best to see you plastic surgeon for an exam and check up. There could be a few things that may cause the scant blood tinged drainage from a specific area on your incision, likely a dissolvable suture working its way out to the surface. Best to check up with your plastic surgeon.

Benjamin J. Cousins MD

Benjamin J. Cousins, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Augmentation incision

From the picture alone, it seems to be a dissolvable stitch which has worked its way to the surface. At least from the picture, there does not appear to be an infection. However, you must see your plastic surgeon because the only way to say for sure is with a physical exam. Call their office today and set up an appointment and voice your concerns.
Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Infection?

Thanks for reaching out.  At this point during your recovery process your incisions should be well healed.  Likely you have a suture that is being spit out.  If it was infected you would be more red and in more pain.  That being said a spitting suture can definitely get infected. It is really important that you go see you surgeon right away so he can evaluate you in person.

I hope this helps :)

John Paul Tutela, MD
Livingston Plastic Surgeon

5 wk postop question

The limited photo provided doesn't show much.  At 5 weeks, most patients' scars are well healed after augmentation, and starting to begin to mature.  The most likely explanation is a spitting suture, but this is a situation in which you want to return to your surgeon as soon as possible to get his or her recommendations immediately. 
--
Erik Hoy, MD

Erik Hoy, MD
Warwick Plastic Surgeon

Concerns About Incision After Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question and for sharing your postoperative photograph.  Based on your photograph, your incision appears to be healing well.  What you are describing is most likely related to a spitting suture.  In your photograph it appears that there might be a small amount of suture material that can be snipped by your plastic surgeon.  A spitting suture is common.  It is unlikely that this would cause infection of your implant.  I would advise you to see your plastic surgeon for an in-person examination to best address your concerns and to determine the best course of action.  Best wishes!

Infection

Hopefully, the small amount of fluid is blood serous fluid. Seek attention of your board certified plastic surgeon as soon as possible.

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Incisions get red as they heal and of course...

I would recommend seeing your plastic surgeon, but by photo alone it appears that your incision is immature, red, and the area where a suture knot would be (the end) is slightly more red.  This would be normal for a scar that is 5 weeks old.

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon