Am I too skinny to get breast implants?

I am 5'7, 115 pounds, and 18 years old. I am very skinny and my bones show on my chest. I want to get breast implants but I've always wondered if someone as skinny as me and with barely any breast tissue can get them, or if it would be dangerous.

Too skinny for implants?

Your best bet might be to schedule a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. During the consultation you can expect the surgeon to take measurements and discuss with you your desired outcome. You can also expect the surgeon to take your small frame into consideration and make recommendations based on your desired out come and your frame. The surgeon should also look at your medical history and determine if you are in good enough health for such a surgery.

Kennewick Plastic Surgeon

There are a number of breast implant options for women who are thin.

Having a small amount of breast tissue is not a limitation to getting breast implants. An experienced, board certified plastic surgeon will be able to advise you on the best implant type and placement that will offer you an optimal outcome. Submuscular placement, or placing the implant below the muscle rather than above it, is the preferred option for women with minimal tissue. This placement greatly reduces the chances of the implant being visible. As long as you are in good overall health, you are likely a candidate for breast augmentation. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who can offer an in-person evaluation and discuss your options with you.

Am I too skinny to get breast implants?

Hi, serenity_801.  As long as you are healthy, you should not have any problem with breast augmentation.  Whether you should get breast augmentation or not is up to you and what kind of look you are going for.  There are many options on implant size and profile.  You can go conservative or bubbly depending on your goal.  Please consult a board-certified plastic surgeon to be evaluated in-person.  After examining you in-person and listening to your goal, she/he will give you a recommendation.  Good luck!

Breast augmentation for skinny women

If you are healthy you are a candidate for breast augmentation. The keys are to fill out the upper and lower parts of the breast with the right implant and to place it in a way that looks relatively natural. The technique that best achieves this is a dual plane technique, where the implant is below the muscle in the superior pole of the breast, and the lower portion of the muscle is released to allow the implant to fill the lower pole of the breast. This covers the implant sufficiently while allowing it to be in an ideal position and fill the breast envelope beautifully.

Location of the incision, location of the implant, type of implant, and size are all critical questions for women who choose breast augmentation. The common denominator to the most beautiful breasts is that they were sized objectively on the basis of measurements. For instance, we combine a proven formula based on measurements of the rests and chest along with through discussions of patient's desires. Photos of ideal breasts and results from patients with similar breasts are often very helpful in the discussion.

Plastic surgeons are trained differently and have varying levels of experience and so the key is to work with a Board Certified plastic surgeon with expertise and experience in breast augmentation. He or she should be able to clearly explain their approach and why they do things a certain way. I hope this was helpful. Please let me me know if you have any other questions regarding the procedure. Thank you and best of luck. 

Too skinny

Absolutely not! There is no reason why you should not be a candidate for breast augmentation just because of your height and weight. 

There re are definitely some considerations when you are that small-chested, and an in-person consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon would be able to address those for you. Sientra Gummy Bear implants might be your best option as they hold their shape better and have less rippling. They also rupture less frequently and have a lower capsular contracture rate than the cohesive gel implants. Using textured implants and even a shaped implant given your current size might even be the best option. 

But, the bottom line is that you are a candidate for breast augmentation. Good luck to you. 

Kirk Moore, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Too skinny for breast implants

Thank you for your question.  As long as a patient is in good halth and is a good candidate for surgery, there is no reason why soeone that is your height and weight would not be able to have breast augmentation.  You may wish to schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to address your concerns, disucss your goals and options then work together to cvreate the surgical plan that you are comfortable with and will help you best achieve your overall desired look.

Best regards,
Dr. Lane F. Smith, MD
Plastic Surgeon
Las Vegas, NV

Lane Smith, MD

Breast implants

Thank you for your question.  You can most likely get implants, but you need to be seen in person by a board certified plastic surgeon for a physical evaluation to determine what would be best for you.  Patients with little breast tissue can still get a nice result if they have realistic expectations.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Too skinny for breast augmentation?

Thank you for your question.  I don't believe you are too skinny for a breast augmentation, a lot of women who are very thin opt for breast augmentation.  Typically I would recommend silicone implants for a woman who is thin and does not have a lot of breast tissue, to lower the risk of seeing rippling in the breast, which is more common with the saline implants.

As you are doing your research you can download a free copy of my breast augmentation planner at ABetterBreast.com.  This planner is full of resources and information to help you understand the entire process of breast augmentation and should answer a lot of questions you may have!

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Candidate for a breast augmentation

Far more important than the technique is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let them explain why one technique may be better than another.
See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for a breast augmentation. 

Any women desiring breast augmentation surgery is a candidate as l ong as there are no health problems present which would preclude her from having surgery. If the desired goal is to enhance or restore size and shape or to improve asymmetry, breast augmentation is a viable option. Breast augmentation can improve a body image, self-esteem, self-concept, and quality of life.
Ideal Candidates for Breast Augmentation
  • Desire larger, shapelier breasts.
  • Moderate degree of breast sag and smaller breasts, whose problem can be solved by enlargement.
  • One breast that is noticeably smaller or is positioned differently than the other (asymmetry).
  • Uneven chest wall or rib cage.
  • Women requiring breast reconstruction following a mastectomy.
  • Restore breast volume or shape following pregnancy, breast feeding and/or weight loss.

Breast Implants in Skinny Women

Being thin or skinny by itself is not a reason to avoid getting breast implants. The procedure in a healthy individual is not dangerous. Selecting the appropriate breast implants for any woman requires a detailed in-person exam by a well qualified surgeon. Please consult with an experienced surgeon who is certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery to learn about your options and to design a plan that will help you to look your best!

David S. Motoki, MD
Draper Plastic Surgeon