Pushups and chest press after Breast Augmentation.

Ive heard both sides of the argument regarding doing pushups after BA. Are there certain surgery techniques that lend to allowing chest exercises over others that do not? or is it more a differing school of thought? (Besides the over the muscle implant vs under the muscle). just feel pushups are so good for my entire body and upper body strength is essential to good posture and good back health. Should I avoid them/remove from my strengthening routine?

I allow my patients to perform chest exercises.

After breast augmentation I limit my patient's chest exercise for six weeks and thereafter I do not limit them on any particular exercises.

I think the main reason why you get conflicting information is because of fears of having the implants fall out to the sides because of the muscle contraction.  I do not feel that the muscle contraction is the reason why implants fall out to the side -- I feel that most of the time it is because the implant diameter is too wide for the body.

As long as you see a surgeon that is conservative with the implant diameter choice (as I am) then you should be OK.

For other helpful information regarding breast augmentation you can download my free breast augmentation planner at aBetterBreast.com

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Push ups after breast augmentation

In general, I believe breast implant placed under the muscle is the preferred pocket location for any breast implant for many reasons (less visible, better cleavage, more natural, better shape, better for mammograms, less capsular contraction).  Over development of the pectoralis muscle theoretically can cause an enhanced "animation deformity" and more importantly a higher chance of implant malposition because of the pull of the muscle.  Therefore, for this reason, I do not encourage my patients to do push ups and chest press after breast augmentation (subpectoral); however, I do not restrict them either.  That being said, most of my patients that do cross-fit and other heavy work outs have not had any problems.  I do think it takes at least 6 weeks after a breast augmentation to effectively do push ups without discomfort though.  If push ups and chest press are that important to you then you may also consider subglandular (on top of the muscle) breast implants with form stable cohesive anatomic gel implants.  I hope this helps!

Can I do pushups and chest exercises after breast augmentation?

Unless there are some unusual circumstances resulting from your breast augmentation you should be able to engage in whatever activity you choose.  It would be important for you to discuss this with your surgeon so that he or she can examine you and make sure there are no issues that would affect your own personal situation.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Go for it.

There are no studies to suggest that chest work after a breast augmentation (even in the submuscular location) is harmful.  In my nearly 10,000 implants I've performed, I've never restricted patients' ability to exercise their chest and instead encourage a fit, healthy lifestyle.  Our results have been uniformly satisfying to patients and so we continue on in our recommendations.  If it hasn't been a problem in my nearly 20 years of surgical experience, I feel pretty safe with this policy.

You will need to restrict your upper body activities for at least 4 weeks before slowly reintroducing them.  Although you may find that you have lost some flexibiliy and strength, it has been well shown in studies that these elements of your fitness reliably returns to pre-surgical levels.

Best of luck.

Pushups and chest breasts after breast implants

In my opinion you should be able to resume your normal activities after breast augmentation.  I asked my patients not to attempt pushups or bench press weight lifting until 6 weeks after sub-muscular breast augmentation.

The technique used during your augmentation does impact chest exercises after surgery.  If a very wide incision was made at the bottom of your chest muscle then bench presses and pushups could force the implant out underneath the chest muscle and create a depression or deformity on the breast when you contract your pectoralis.  If however with pectoralis muscle contraction the implant does not bulged out from underneath the chest muscle then you should be okay.  Of course please check with your plastic surgeon who is aware of the exact technique that was used.

Surgical techniques and anatomy

Submuscular implants do not prevent your ability to perform push-ups but it will feel unusual and akward when you first try them about 6 weeks out. Be careful not to fall on your face on the first try. 
Certain techniques that release more of the muscle attachments or if there was and overdissection medially could result in less muscle strength but usually this is minimal. Everyone who has a sub muscular placement will have some animation of their implant. Some more than others. If your implant moves to the side a lot when you flex then overtime your implants may shift laterally especially seen when laying flat.

Christopher J. Ewart, MD
Augusta Plastic Surgeon

If the breast implants are placed behind the muscle, you must avoid chest excercises indefinitely. The muscle covers the implant and any chest excercises like pushups and chest presses can move the muscle.  Constant contraction of the muscle can push the implant out of place and you´ll need to have another surgery.

Alfonso Gonzalez Cepeda, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon