How long do I sleep in a bra after my Breast Augmentation?

I had my breast augmentation done almost 3 weeks ago. I slept braless a couple nights but then read that you aren't supposed to do that for a few months. I also heard that women with bigger breasts should always sleep in a sports bra because it helps prevent sagging in the long run? Is this true? I had 375 cc's silicone put in and am about a C cup.

How much should I wear my bra after a breast augmentation?

Breast support is important, big implants are like big breasts, they eventually sag. In my practice I have my patients wear a sports bra that  opens in the front ,without under wire  for 6 weeks, 24/7 and a breast band. After the fist week if they want to go out for an evening with out a bra that's ok.

Not wearing your bra for a couple of nights will not hurt your result.

Yours,

Jon M. Grazer, MD, MPH, FACS

Plastis Surgery

Newport Beach, CA

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure. The question  regarding the use of bras is surprisingly common on this website;  there is no “standard” when it comes to the use of specific bras or garments after breast surgery. In other words, different plastic surgeons may have different practices when it comes to postoperative dressings/bras. Therefore, best to check with your plastic surgeon.   For example, in my practice, patients wake up with a surgical bra in place.  This surgical bra,  although not attractive, is supportive and used for about one month after surgery ( Some of my patients have been known to burn the bra ASAP). Then, patient's transition to a soft sports bra. Wired bras are used when breast implants have reached their “final position” and patients have full sensation along the breast skin.   Best wishes.

How long do I sleep in a bra after by Breast Augmentation?

Thank you for your question.  Each doctor recommends a different amount of time to wear your bra at night, so I would suggest checking in with your doctor to find out the recommended time frame is to wear your bra at night.  

For my patients I typically recommend wearing the bra for at least the first 2 weeks after surgery, but you can always continue to wear the bra as long as it is comfortable for you.  Some women find that they like the extra support at night, and it may be more comfortable.

If you would like more information regarding breast augmentation and the recovery process, you can download a free copy of my Breast Augmentation Planer at ABetterBreast.com.

Best of luck.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping in a bra after breast augmentation

In general, I recommend that patients wear their post-op bra for at least the first 2 weeks.  I individualize further bra wearing based upon the size of the implants, shape of the breasts, and the goals of the patient. I have no hard-and-fast rules about wearing the bra.  There is no science to support wearing the bra for a longer time.

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Recovery

Every surgeon will have his/her own preferences as to recovery for specific procedures. I have patients wear a soft bra after breast augmentation for a few weeks to splint everything, and at that point the scars are generally very stable and we move to normal bras (or none) and long term scar management.

The best person to advise you on this is your specific surgeon.

Bra after surgery

Hi and thank you for your question.  I generally tell my patients to wear their surgical bra around the clock for support for at least 2-3 weeks.  This supports the new implants in the pocket and allows them to heal without tension.  I think the best plan would be for you to call your board certified Plastic Surgeon and see what they recommend for you.  Good luck with everything!

Michael Ian Rose, MD
Red Bank Plastic Surgeon

Is sleeping in a bra beneficial?

There is a lot of controversy on the world wide web about wearing bras and creating other health problems.  I am not speaking to any of those things.

I advise all of my patients to sleep in a comfortable supportive (not tight) sports bra as often as possible.  Gravity is not a BFF of breasts that are unsupported.  Look at it this way, if you sleep 8 hours per night without a bra, your breasts are unsupported for 1/3 of the day.

Please ask your PS what he/she would like for you to do.  It is important that you follow your surgeon's protocols for the best results.

Bra After Breast Augmentation

My patients wear their post-operative bra around the clock for 2 full weeks before switching to daytime use.  Sleeping in the bra longer than 2 weeks does not cause problems, and some patients prefer to continue wearing it at night longer.

The bottom line after any breast surgery is that you should support your breasts at all times.  This is good advice for all women, whether or not they have had any breast surgery.  An unsupported breast is likely to sag much faster, which can cause complications after augmentation.  Good support of the breast helps to preserve the position and quality of the breast skin, breast tissue, and capsule (scar around the implant).  Always a good idea.

Be sure to follow your surgeon's advice about these matters, since many of us have different opinions on this matter.

Emily J. Kirby, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

How long to wear a bra at night after a breast augmentation.

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

You should contact your surgeon to ask her/his advice.
Every surgeon has a different preference -
I discuss this with each patient - because it varies from patient to patient.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes

Bra after surgery

I recommend that my patients wear un underwire bra beginning immediately after surgery and in fact we place patients in an underwire in the recovery room after surgery.  I recommend a well fitting underwire with cups which helps to support the weight of the implants over time.  Otherwise your skin is essentially supporting the weight of the implant and there is more likely to be drooping in that case.

I recommend a sports bra when exercising. I don't recommend a sports bra all the time or overnight because a sports bra is compressive and it doesn't support the type of breast shape we want after surgery.

Most plastic surgeon will have different feelings with regard to bras after surgery so you should follow the directions of your surgeon.

Best of luck.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon