How long do I have to wait before I can have a cigarette after wisdom teeth removal?

I got my wisdom teeth taken out today 8/28/14 I had them surgically removed but did not receive stiches so basically I have three holes in my mouth. My doctor just said don't smoke. I would like to know how long I shouldn't smoke for

Smoking after wisdom teeth extraction

Smoking in the first 5-7 days can significantly increase chances of infection or dry socket. Smoking after that up to 6-8 weeks can slow down the healing process with higher chances of infection. Smoking after 2.5 to 3 months, once the site has completely healed, is probably ok.

Dr. Kazemi

Bethesda Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Smoking after extractions

The longer you can hold off the better but the first 24-48 hours is crucial. After this time period the blood clot should have formed and healing has started to occur. Although smoking at any time will still delay healing after the 48 hour time period you should be fine. 

Jeremy B. Jorgenson, DDS
Costa Mesa Dentist