How safe and successful is Botox or Dysport for Jawline Reduction? I'm afraid it would disfigure me, even temporarily. (photos)

I'm a 35 yr old, in shape, Asian female and I desire a delicate looking jawline and a less round-looking face. So, doctors in the Las Vegas or Phoenix area, would I be a good candidate for Botox or Dysport jaw reduction? What is the difference, and which is better for the jaw? Have you successfully performed it on someone with my face shape? Regardless of fault, how often does Botox/Dysport go wrong for the jaw? Everyone reacts differently and every doctor's procedure and expertise is different.

Dysport for jawline reduction

Many Asian girls gave been treated successfully with Dysport and Botox to reduce the bulk of the jaw muscles and improve the shape of the face. The procedure is almost painless. Complications are minimal.

Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dysport/Botox for masseter reduction

Dysport/Botox is a very safe and effective treatment when administered by a surgeon experienced in this technique.  Side effects occur when unintended muscles are injected, which can happen with inexperienced injectors.  Based on your photos, you would achieve a nice result with a fairly significant tapering of your jawline (your masseter muscle would no longer be able to create the bulge you see when smiling, and would also slim as the Dysport/Botox relaxes the muscle).  

I've achieved excellent results with both Dysport/Botox, so the most important factor in achieving a satisfactory result is choosing the right doctor. 

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Dysport | Botox for Jawline Reduction

Yes, Botox | Dysport is safe and effective for masseter muscle hypertrophy to slim the jawline.

To be sure, see two or more board certified and experienced plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Botox for jaw swimming

Botox for jaw slimming is an excellent way to reduce masseter hypertrophy and thus slim the face.  Obviously this is only a temporary solution.  Most of my patients have this treatment done approximately twice a year.  From examining your picture you appear to be an excellent candidate for this procedure. It is important that you choose  a physician who is well versed with this technique.  The procedure is very safe and straightforward. Good luck!

Usha Rajagopal, MD

Botox jawline shaping

Botox is very effective for jawline shaping/ slimming in people with large/ hypertrophic masseter muscles. The results are gradual and treatment does need to be repeated to reach the result that you're looking for in many cases. The starting points mentioned by my colleagues are reasonable. I have not yet seen a case of over-slimming of the jaw or any other issue that develops after treatment. However, in plastic surgery anything is possible and there are no guarantees. But my experience has been that patients are usually very happy with the result and will occasionally come in for re-treatment to maintain the improvement they achieve with Botox jawline slimming. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for jawline reduction

You are an excellent candidate for non-surgical jawline reduction. Softening your masseter muscles on both sides would, in my estimate, require about 25 to 40 units of botox per side, depending on the aesthetic of what your are seeking. I would recommend starting with the lower dose and waiting for about a month for the results to take effect. Remember that using Botox for face contouring (in this case, decreasing the size of the masseter muscles) will take more time than just simply using it for erasing the frown lines. The higher the dose of botox used, the more heart shaped your face will appear. Although both Botox and Dysport will achieve similar effects, I would stick with Botox due to it's low diffusion properties.

Tatiana Khrom, MD

Depending on your examination, you may be a candidate for Botox, for a more angular jaw-line.

If your lower facial roundness enhances with biting down, then masseter injections may be beneficial. In our practice, we start with 25u Botox per side, and reassess the results in two weeks. This is not popular in our practice, but appropriate patients have had high satisfaction without sequelae.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Jawline reduction

Good question- there are several issues to discuss about the possibility of jawline reduction. It really depends on how much of the issue is being caused by the muscles in the area. While a picture is good, there is no substitute for an in-person physical exam and consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Botox and Dysport for jaw slimming

Thank you for your question. Botox or Dysport can be a very effective way to contour the jaw line by reducing the masseter shadow through the outer jaw skin. In addition, it can reduce symptoms of jaw clenching or grinding of teeth at night time. This is an advanced technique that requires a strong understanding of the underlying anatomy. Some side effects can results in some very unintented effects. This can include affecting the smile due to diffusion of the Botox into neighboring smile muscles. Over treatment can also overweaken your jaw muscles making it harder to chew food and causes your jaw muscles to relax too much when you sleep.
The injection technique does vary by physical exam and the goals of the treatment. Facial contouring goals may change the injection sites themselves to affect different portions of the masseter as well as the dose. The strength of the masseters can be felt by palpation and also helps me to determine dosing. In general, I start with 15- 25 units of Botox (OR 50-75 units of Dysport) per side for most patients. If the have very strong masseters, then I may increase the dose, but more commonly ask them to return in three weeks for a touch up. Once you get the desired result, I let patients know that future treatments may require less to maintain the look or the jaw clenching symptoms, especially if they get treated as soon as they notice the symptoms return. This can be as soon as three to four months, but in some cases, patients report that it lasts six months or more. I find it depends on the dose we use and how many times we have done the procedure as the duration may lengthen for patients that repeat it regularly.