I am a woman, dealing with embarrassing chin hair. I am constantly waxing. Can this be a medical problem?

Chin hair answers...

If you have other family members who have more facial hair than they want to have, then there is a possibility that your problem is just based on your gene pool! If you have some other associated symptoms such as very infrequent menses, or uncontrolled acne then you might have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. A gyn/ endocrinologist can make that diagnosis. It is important to treat this if you are concerned about having a baby in the future. Generally pts with untreated PCOS have infertility issues.

See a dermatologist for laser hair removal if you are tired of shaving!

Silver Spring Dermatologic Surgeon

Hormone balance in puberty, pregnancy and menopause and poly cystic ovarian disease

Hormone imbalance in puberty, pregnancy, menopause or poly cystic ovarian disease are among some common reasons for unwanted facial hair but sometimes it is genetic. Or due to meds like birth control pills.
while you are young and do not have grey chin hairs look into laser hair removal options they are fairly affordable and work well in the right hands.

Ritu Malhotra, MD
Cleveland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin hair and Hormones

Very often chin hair or facial hair is related to a hormonal imbalance.   I would definitely consult your dermatologist to analyze your blood to see if this is the reason for the repeat hair growth.  Laser hair removal is painless and much more effective than any other hair removal method.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist for the best and safest results.

Chin hair

It is possible that an imbalance in hormone levels can be causing dark, thick hair growth to the chin.  Certain birth control pills may also cause an increase in hair growth to the face.  I would recommend checking with your PCP or ob/gyn.  Laser hair removal is a great option for hair reduction to the chin and is more permanent than waxing.

H. George Brennan, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon