How long will numbess and tingling last?

I had surgery to fix a fracture to my left orbital floor. The first two days were fine but after I started the warm compress part of my left face started feeling a bit numb with tingling sensations. The most noticeable areas I feel numb are my cheek, left side of nose, left half of my upper lip and some of my left upper teeth. The numbing sensation gets worse when I do the warm compress. Should I be concerned?

Orbital floor fracture

Thanks for your question. Yes, this is completely normal for the first 6-12 weeks after any surgery around the orbit. There is a sensory nerve (2nd division of the trigeminal nerve) that exits a small opening on the front side of the bone where your surgeon worked to repair your fracture. This nerve gets bruised (extremely rare to be completely cut) during injury and surgery here. Light massage as tolerated is probably the best remedy here. Be sure to follow up w/ your surgeon next week. Best wishes.

Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Numbness and tingling

What you are describing is related to the infraorbital nerve, which is immediately below the eye and supplies sensation for parts of the face you mentioned.  This may be related to swelling in the area after the surgery.  I would recommend that you follow up with your surgeon and discuss your concerns.  Good luck!

Sunny Park, MD, MPH
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Needs some time

Numbness tends to improve over months after the injury.
If it is compress related, perhaps it is best to stop.

Warm compress after surgery?

You should ask your surgeon about this.  Not sure why you would use warm compress for an orbital floor fracture.  Did you start with cold and then switch?  It sounds like you are getting some swelling of the infraorbital nerve from the compress.  

Matthew Bridges, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon