Can Cool Sculpting affect any surgical scars on the abdomen?

I'm considering Cool Sculpting for my upper and lower abdomen. Over a year ago I had my gallbladder removed through my belly button. Are there any possible complications from Cool Sculpting that will affect my navel scar? Such as, could the treatment cause the scar to harden or grow larger?

CoolSculpting Over Scars

A scar that has had a year to heal should be fine to treat over. The things to consider are to make sure you don't have any other contraindications to treatment and that you are actually a good candidate for the treatment, which you provider can go over with you, and that there are no hernias in the area to be treated. The treatment should not affect the scar itself. I would suggest being evaluated in person and obtaining a consultation to get more detailed information.

Coolsculpting Over a Scar

Coolsculpting is a great procedure for the abdomen to remove unwanted fat cells. The results should not be affected by a navel scar. You do want to make sure that your scar has had time fully to heal (about a year post-op) before doing any procedure over a scar. You also want to make sure you do not have a hernia in that area before you start Coolsculpting. I hope this helps.

Shelena Lalji, MD
Sugar Land OB/GYN

Cool Sculpting affect on surgical scars on the abdomen

Coolsculpting can be used on a mature scar. It should not be done if you have a hernia or recent surgery (within 6 months). Consult with 3 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons who have a certified coolsculpting center.

Note: Not all centers who have coolsculpting have the training or expertise required to receive certification.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Coolsculpting and scars

coolsculpting selectively freezes fat cells to induce programmed cell death.  Scar are not an issue with this procedure in most cases.The process will not affect your scars but having a hernia may prevent you from having this procedure.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting over a scar

CoolSculpting shouldn't be any problem over a mature surgical scar (as is your case) as long as their is no hernia. 

Ted Brezel, MD
Long Island Dermatologist

Coolsculpting and the presence of scars

Coolsculpting is a great procedure for treating the abdominal area. The presence of a previous scar will have no implications on your coolsculpting procedure or results. Please be certain that you consult a board certified dermatologist with expertise in coolsculpting for the best results. 

CoolSculpting In The Presence Of Scars

There is no problem in treating areas with scars using CoolSculpting. As long as you don't have a hernia in the area that is being treated you should be ok. Good luck.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

CoolSculpting

As long as you do not have a hernia, the scars should not be a problem.  We have treated several thousand patients work Coolsculpting and I have never seen a scar get worse after.  I encourage you to come in for a free consult.  804-290-0909. 

Reps B. Sundin, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon