Retin A Vs. Chemical Peel (Jessner/Blue Peel) on 43 Year Old Skin? (photo)

So I've been bad. I sunbathed. A LOT. Yet, my skin is clear, no age spots.Having oily skin has helped keep wrinkles in check.I'm now considering either going on Retin-A or a chemical peel. Few years ago I had a blue peel and thought I was going to have a heart attack. I'm a wimp but it felt like hot concrete was being poured on my face. It did take a brown spot or 2 with it. It was torture but it worked. If I can get the same results with Retin-A, I'd much prefer it. Thank you for any advice!

Doctor Answers 2

Reverse the signs of aging/tanning with Retin-A, Jessners Chemical Peel for younger skin

Lucky for you, oily skin does help ward off those pesky lines and wrinkles!  I always tell my patients that 70% of their improvement and maintenance is what you do on a daily basis.  Retin A .05 and .1 are FDA approved for anti-aging.  Retin A thickens and strenghens the dermal layer, restructuring it.  When you are in your 20's, it takes 28 days for your skin cells to turn over.  By the time you are 50, it takes 45 days, so the skin looks duller from the standpoint that those cells are not plump, round and light reflecting as you get older.  Retin A will help your skin regain that luminosity while it is making it stronger.   Chemical Peels are fabulous for keeping it that way and most of my patients come in every 4-6 weeks for those treatments.  The new Enerpeel by Glytone works exceptionally well.  The bulk of it penetrates to the lower levels of the skin where it is needed, with less pooling at the surface.  Therefore, most patients have little to no outward side effect such as excessive peeling and flaking. 

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 117 reviews

RetinA versus Chemical Peel To Improve Brown (Age, Sun) Spots

I would recommend doing both!  You will get the most out of using RetinA combined with chemical peeling. I typically recommend patients use RetinA leading up to peels (at least a few months in advance) and then again once the healing has resolved. I recommend you consult with a board-certified dermatologist experienced in chemical peeling. 

Channing R. Barnett, MD
New York Dermatologist
4.1 out of 5 stars 8 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.