Restylane Vs. Fat Grafting for Under Eye Hollows?

I'm of East Indian origin and I have hereditary dark under eye circles. I have very thin skin under my eyes and a deep depressions in the inner cornes of my eyes and wrinkles. I'm trying to decide between getting Restylane injections to correct the hollowness or get Fat Grafting. I've read some pretty scary stories about both procedures and I'm not sure which is safer. Thank you

Restylane is temporary and fat injections can last years

Restylane will last about 6-9 months but can improve this area. Fat injections can last 8-10 or more years. You are one the right track though. You need volume in this area and that's the best way to improve this area. One thing to realize is that restylane will go away and can also be taken out earlier if you wish through enzyme injections. This can be reassuring.

Fat injections are more permanent and is a little harder to get rid of if you don't like the volume but can be done through different special procedures. In my opinion, fat injections / transfer leads to the most natural results.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Restylane Vs. Fat Grafting for Under Eye Hollows

Both procedures are safe if done by a provider with experience in tear trough fillers. Fat is a more permanent option, as Restylane only lasts about 6-12 months under the eyes. I recommend doing non-permanent fillers first to see if it meets your expectations. Then if you are satisfied with the results, you can opt for a more permanent filler, such as fat grafting.

Tim Sayed, MD, MBA, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Fat injection vs Restylane

Fat injection, even in the best of hands, has the chance for lumpiness. This lumpiness can be difficult to correct. Especially in young patients we prefer Prevelle or Restylane.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Options for lower eyelid treatment

Fat grafting involves taking live fat cells, protecting and processing them, and re-injecting or placing them in an area where more fat or bulk is needed.  In regards to safety for under eye correction, there is a greater possibility of irregularity of result with fat transfer than with fillers such as Restylane.  That is because it is difficult to place very tiny strands of fat under the very thin skin in the tear trough area, and therefore slight lumpiness is sometimes seen and is not desirable.  However, there is a way to combine fat grafting with lower lid blepharoplasty where the fat is injected underneath the skin into the bulk of the orbicularis muscle.  The procedures are safe under the hands of a a board-certified plastic surgeon with experience in these types of procedures, who is conservative in his approach.  It is important to discuss the various options available to you with your surgeon of choice.

James Carraway, MD
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

Restylane vs fat for under the eyes

Restylane is temporary but is more forgiving in that it can be molded.  Fat is permanent but may cause more lumps that are more difficult to deal with thatn restylane.

Filler vs. Fat injections

Restylane or Juvederm, both hyaluronic acids, are commonly used, off-label (not FDA approved for this use, but doctors may legally perform the procedure) for this purpose.

Fat injections may give you a good result but, there are different ways that both of these fillers are done by different doctors. Some inject over the muscle, and there may be larger chance of visible bumps.

The nice thing about Restylane or Juvederm is that if there is too much filler injected, it can be dissolved by injecting hyaluronidase. This also can be used in case of serious complications, such as a plugged blood vessel, whereas there is no equivalent of hyaluronidase for fat injections.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane

Although you may have heard scary things about both procedures the incidence of them happening is quite low. That being said the potential bad things that can happen from fillers are generally less severe and usually reversible when compared to fat transfer.
You are young and your lower lid contour is relatively good. I would recommend beginning with filler. You don't burn any bridges and I beleive you will be pleased with your result.

Robert W. Kessler, MD, FACS
Corona Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Restylane versus fat grafting in tear troughs

The key is not the procedure but who does the procedure.  Either might be appropriate for you -- and they are not the only options.  There are other fillers, biostimulators and devices that might be approrpriate.  The addition of the right cosmeceuticals can also make the difference in your results.  My recommendation is that you seek a consult with an experienced physician board certified in a core cosmetic specialty like dermatology.  Review your concerns and your goals with her and have a clear discussion about your options, risks  and benefits.  

I hope this helps answer your question. Best wishes.

Heidi A. Waldorf, MD

Solutions for Under Eye Hollows

If there is enough of a hollow under the inside of the eyelid this is referred to as the tear trough region. Filling the area  with either fat or dermal filler(Hyaluronic acid) helps most patients with the shadowing. The advantage of a dermal filler is the smoothness of the injection. Using a microcannula the filler can be placed just above bone as the syringe is withdrawn. Fat grafting  is performed also with a blunt microcannula. The technique is also  made easy today since there is specific ways to prepare the fat. Both methods work well. There is some degree of permanency of fat injections so therein lies an advantage. Conservatism of treatment is the ticket. You can always go back and add more. It may be wise to warm up with a filler before going to fat grafting. It is a matter of preference and the recommendation from your physician.

Robert W. Sheffield, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon