How Much Rest Do I Need After a Tummy Tuck?

only 12 days after my op and i have been told to rest plenty but unsure what plenty means

Your activity level after tummy tuck depends on exactly what was done by your surgeon

Your activity level after a tummy tuck will vary depending on whether we repair your muscles or not.  “Diastasis Recti” or separation of the rectus muscles occurs in almost all women who have carried a child to term, so almost all of our tummy tucks involve repairing this separation.  This is similar to a hernia repair and the post-op instructions are therefore similar – no heavy lifting (not more than a gallon of milk, or about five pounds) for six weeks.  It is also very common to tire easily as your body is repairing and healing a large area, so don’t be too hard on yourself if your progress back to normal activity is a little slower than you had hoped.

How much rest after a tummy tuck?

You should be walking immediately, but not excessively. This is to decrease the risk of developing a blood clot. I advise patients not to exercise for at least six weeks- similar to a woman that has had a C-section. It is most appropriate to have your activity questions addressed by your surgeon. He/She will be grateful that you are trying to be compliant and taking your recovery seriously.

William Loutfy, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Downtime After Tummy Tuck

After a #tummytuck #surgery, #swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate.

I suggest waiting 6 weeks before returning to full activity without restrictions.

Ask your #BoardCertified #PlasticSurgeon what they recommend.

Rest post Tummy Tuck

Each surgeon has his or her own guidelines for postoperative care. Patients generally can return to light activity 7 to 10 post surgery. More strenuous activity can generally begin 2 to 6 months post surgery. Consult your surgeon has he or she understands the scope of the surgery and the specifics about you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Activity After Tummy Tuck

You shouldn't be lying around all day. You can leisurely walk around and be a little more physically active, but refrain from exercising or lifting anything for a few more weeks. You should ask your surgeon for specific advice pertaining to your situation.

Talk to your doctor

Questions like this really need to be discussed with your surgeon. He or she knows your case so he or she would be able to give the best advice. 

Rest post TT

The best advice I can give you is to use common sense.  Don't run a marathon or engage in a sit-up competition.  If you feel tired, take a nap.  You shouldn't lift anything heavier than 10lbs.  

You should still get up and walk around.  Don't stay in bed or in a chair all day - you don't want to get a DVT/clot.  

Warmest Regards,

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Rest after TT

Rest means taking an afternoon nap when tired not working more than eight hours a day. Walking no running or jogging for the first 3 weeks. No Sit up no heavy lifting more than 15 to 20 lbs. Good luck with the recovery

M. Vincent Makhlouf, MD, FACS

Instructions after Abdominoplasty

After having an Abdominoplasty we recommend no heavy lifting for up to three months.  Most people take off from a sitting job for two weeks and can resume light activities .  Taking it easy means no lifting climbing etc.. Good luck

Sanjay Lalla, MD, FACS
West Orange Plastic Surgeon

Schedule for increasing activity level after tummy tuck

Most tummy tucks (abdominoplasty) involve repairing separated muscles, which have been pushed apart from prior pregnancy. Although this is not a true hernia, the recovery process is similar, and it typically takes about 6 weeks for it to heal strongly enough to support vigorous exercise. However, it is also helpful to increase normal daily activities such as walking especially beginning the second week. The main thing to be careful about is lifting abything heavy or straining the abdominal muscles.

Richard Baxter, MD