Is it better to remove a tattoo now or later? (photo)

I was wondering if it would be better to get an unwanted tattoo now or to let the ink fade away in a few years and then get it removed? Also if I do get it removed now or later, would scarring be a problem?

Tattoo Removal

You should get the tattoo removed now. The tattoo ink won't fade much in a few years.You would be a great candidate for the Alex Trivantage laser. There is no scaring with the Alex Trivantage laser. This laser is the only one on the market that can target colors.  The multiple wave lengths can target all the colors in the tattoo with 4-6 sessions.  You should contact a board certified dermatologist as soon as possible.

Laser Tattoo Removal Sooner Rather Than Later

Tattoo removal sooner is probably better than later because when a tattoo is still fresh, the ink has usually not completely solidified yet.

There is good laser technology that minimizes the chance of scarring.  The Revlite and PicoSure are both excellent.

To be sure, see two or more board certified physicians in your area experienced in laser tattoo removal for a full and complete evaluation.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Tattoo removal

Black tattoos such as yours are the most successful to remove with laser. If you regret putting on the tattoo, take it off ASAP. There is a new technology , the Pico laser that can remove tattoos in as few as 4 sessions. It is available at some university medical centers and some medical practices. It will be time and cost effective to have treatment with that laser.
( I agree with you about taking the forearm tattoo off.While tattoos are becoming more acceptable in certain occupations, many employers would not hire someone with a visible tattoo like the one you have.) 

Susan Goodlerner, MD
Torrance Dermatologist

Tattoo removal

The tattoo ink will not fade very much by itself and you may as well start the treatment now.
With modern lasers scarring should not be a problem.

Niels C. Krejci, MD
Boston Dermatologist