Silicone Cheek Injections

I have silicone injections in my cheeks that I would like removed. Is there a way to remove it or remove most of it? Would an aggressive lipo remove most if not all that’s not in the muscle?

Very difficult

As the other plastic surgeons have said, free liquid silicone injections into any area are extremely difficult and often impossible to correct. If there is one localized area where a lump with scar tissue has formed then that area may be able to be excised but this may leave its' own deformity. I would recommend you at least see a plastic surgeon and be evaluated.

Removing Silicone injections is difficult

Silicone injection as mentioned here several times is a very difficult problem to fix. Injection in the breast could lead to a mastectomy but facial injection is harder to remove. I would get a board certified plastic surgeon to examine you.If some of the silicone is localised in one area deep to the skin, a surgical removal might help.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Sadly no

Silicone injections are impossible to totally remove because they are infiltrated into the tissues and are not self-contained as if they were in an implant.  They should never be done in my opinion.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Reducing Silicone injection complications

Silicone injections can cause visual deformity on the face. In most cases, these contour irregularities and lumps can be a result of an inflammatory response to the silicone, the silicone itself, and silicone migration. Treatment is successful if performed in a multidisciplinary fashion with conservative, medical, and surgical evaluation and treatment.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Silicone cheek injections

Regards, 

Liquid silicone is unsafe, please do not use it ever. The autoimmune response could be triggered by this substance, if you look around on the Internet, you will find patients that have a lot of problems with this product. The use for lips and other areas is off label. 

Liposuction in any of its varieties: conventional, vaser, laser, etc, doesn´t work to remove silicone.  This has been presented at several international medical congresses. The best option is to remove the silicone with open surgery and endoscopic techniques. My personal approach is to remove them with the videoendoscopic technique, which we have used for several years.

Please remember to be aware, do not let any permanenrt filler to be injected into your face, breast, buttocks, calfs, genitalia, etc. The safest way to increase buttocks is through your own fat injections or through silicone implants.

I hope the information was usefull, have a nice day! Dr Carlos Rios.

Carlos Alberto Ríos García, MD
Colombia Plastic Surgeon

A new approach

Hello

till recently i believed that silicone removal was difficult, Last week i tried a new procedure on a patient,a friend, and i was surprised that ir worked very well. I used VASER device on the cheeks. The high energy of the Ultrasound probably disintegrated some of the silicone and almost 80 percent of the silicone came out. I further did a face lift for her, and i could see just a few bubbles of silicone there. The cheeks had deflated well, restoring her previous looks. In fact liposuction is nor required at all, The liquid silicone jsut sort of flows out through the opening

I believe there is a case to test this further. Do discuss with your plastic surgeon, and this should work well for you

Regards

Dr Amit Gupta

Amit Gupta, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Lumps and infection persist after silicone injections removal (cannot get all of the silicone out)

Silicone injections in various parts of the body has been done quite frequently all over the country.  The difficulty with silicone injections begins with the quality of the silicone itself.  I have seen many cases where industrial grade silicone has been injected inside the human body.  This can be a tremendous disaster.  Problems can include infections, granulomas, cellulitis, and persistent skin infections, disfigurement and skin dimpling.  It is very easy to have silicone injected, but very difficult to have it removed.  The removal can frequently be very complex and involved lengthy surgery. Multiple operation is not uncommon.   It is not uncommon to expect scars in locations that would otherwise be undesirable.  If you do have silicone, or are having problem with silicone that was injected by a non-healthcare provider then you should certainly seek medical attention.  Some solutions include IV antibiotics, oral antibiotics and surgery after the inflammation has subsided.  Removing the silicone is not just a cosmetic issue but also an issue of better health.  Depending on the type of silicone injected concerns with autoimmune diseases and infections are foremost.  Taking medications such as ibuprofen or cortisone is only a temporary measure.  The real solution is surgery.  Not all plastic surgeons are willing to operate on patients who have had silicone injected in their body.  Many of these cases are not covered by insurance because they were performed for cosmetic reasons.  My recommendation to anyone that has had silicone injections and wishes to have it removed, is to seek a board certified plastic surgeon who is likely willing to do more than 1 operation as well as willing to do some of these operations in a hospital setting. I have had patients visit me for removal of silicone and the discussion to proceed is never an easy one.

Raj S. Ambay, MD