How to Remove Silicone Filler?

I recently had silicone as a filler added to an area of my nose. However, the second time, the doctor added too much and now the tip of my nose and side is enlarged/deformed. I need some advice as to how to remove this excess silicone (procedure, product or other injectable?). Is there a time period for doing this before the silicone harden and take a permanent form?

Silicone removal

The silicone that was injected can be removed at any time but will require surgical intervention.

In my practice, we see patients that have had silicone injected in their face or body. Many of these were done outside of the United States as most dermatologists and plastic surgeons recognize the problems that can occur with injecting free silicone into someone.

The body will form scar tissue around the silicone, however depending on the injection techniques, removal can be challenging (Dr. K reviews some of the issues around injection techniques and the quality of silicone).

Removal of injected silicone from your nose may require an open rhinoplasty approach. You may also need a procedure to reconstruct the defect at a later time.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon to help you with this difficult problem.

Silicone Removal: Complications of Silicone as a Facial Filler

In theory, silicone is an inert facial filler with minimal risk of developing foreign body reaction. However, the number of documented cases of silicone granuloma, silicone inflammation, silicone deformity, and sensitivity to injected silicone is enormous. The first step in dealing with silicone problems is to identify the exact source of the silicone injected. Was it medical grade? Where was it manufactured? What is the lot number and expiration date? Was sterile technique adhered to? Once this information is acquired, the two components of silicone deformity need to be addressed separately:
  • Inflammatory phase
  • Foreign body filler
Treating silicone deformities is difficult. Our office specializes in silicone filler removal. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

You should remove silicone filler

Regards, 

Liquid silicone is unsafe, please do not use it ever. The autoimmune response could be triggered by this substance, if you search on the Internet, you will find patients that have a lot of problems with this product.

A nasal reconstruction should be performed to remove as many biopolymers as possible. The problem is not that it hardens, the truth is that what is hardens is the tissue around. The silicone will always be liquid. You must remove the silicone so that soft tissue and cartilage will not be damaged.

Biopolymers (liquid silicone, Poly Acrylamide Gel, PMMA, Macrolane, etc), ALWAYS should be removed, because you could present at any time Iatrogenic Allogenosis and probably A.S.I.A. Syndrome. Please remember to be aware, do not let any permanenrt filler to be injected into your face, breast, buttocks, calfs, genitalia, etc. The safest way to increase buttocks is through your own fat injections or through silicone implants.

I hope the information was usefull, have a nice day! Dr Carlos Rios.

Carlos Alberto Ríos García, MD
Colombia Plastic Surgeon