How to reduce gap after breast augmentation? (photo)

I am 3 months post op (silicone/high profile/under/475cc A to D). My gap is 2.5 fingers and I have more side boob than cleavage.. even when I wear a bra. Is there any way I can reduce the gap and somehow position my breast to be more in the middle with a tight sports bra or a certain type of bra? Please help! Thank you!

Gap Between Breasts After Augmentation

Your gap will improve with time to a small extent, due to continued stretching of your soft tissues: skin, fat, breast, and muscle. My assumption is that your implants are as well placed as possible, and that the pectoralis muscle was appropriately thinned along the sternal border, and that the lateral extents of the implant pockets are not too lateralized. If this is not the case, then there is room for improvement. To determine this, a physical examination by a surgeon is necessary.

Regardless, you are an example of one of the many limitations of breast augmentation. Your desire to be a D cup when you were an A cup should have been discouraged. You had small breasts that did not extend very far over the sternum and little body fat. You are lucky that your only complaint is a wide gap. Unfortunately, time is not on your side, and the same stretching of soft tissues that will relax your implants and allow them to glide together more easily will also be the source of potential problems in the future: thinning and rippling, malposition, and dropout. Some of these problems may be uncorrectable, and you might always have a significant aesthetic compromise.

If you really want help, you should take sage advice and realize you need to do what's best for yourself in the long run. Removing your large, high profile implants with smaller, lower profile implants (perhaps the same diameter) will not only decrease your risk of long term problems, but also instantly improve the apparent width of the 'gap'.

Gap after breast

Thanks a lot for the questions i was reading some recommendations of others colleges , but i disagree with the most , i think that while performing the breast augmentation the pocket to the to middle line or center line was not enough .we have to respect 1 cm to center line for not create the symmastia but not more than this , because if not no matter what you do that pocket a this stage is already closed and to improve there is no other way than surgical revision of the internal pocket to wide it and let the implant come to your center line .Otherwise

your breasts look beautifull and what we see is a very nice shape

Cynthia Disla, MD

BBA

The breast footprint is not possible to change.  If you have widely set breasts, they will always be widely set.  See a BC PS in your area to discuss this with.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Gap in Cleavage #breastimplants

Well, this is a very loaded question. There are so many things that determine cleavage. One is your anatomy. Some patients just have wider cleavage than others no matter what and that is determined by where the pectorals muscle attaches to the sternal bone in the center of the chest. The profile of the implant can also affect cleavage. Higher profile implants tend to push the breast out further giving a deeper cleavage. If more implant is in the armpit you may have an implant that is too wide for your body. In that case you may need to have new implants that fit your base diameter and often times that means a pocket revision to suture the pocket closed in the armpit area. All of these things I discuss I have no idea if they pertain to your situation, but these are the issues to be considered when one desires more cleavage.

Richard J. Brown, MD

A to D

From your picture your result looks great. As far as the gap between the breasts, that's a function of electing to have a very large implant placed within a tight skin envelope. Your skin over a pre-existing A cup is tighter at the center than out laterally. Over time the central skin may stretch out somewhat and allow you to create more central cleavage with a push up bra. Since you are still just a few weeks out from your surgey, applying a breast bandeau strap may help with some stretch in this direction. Also make sure to focus your implant displacement exercises upwards and inwards, never out to the sides.

Hope this helps!

Mark Gaon, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Fat grafting to improve cleavage

You appear to have a fairly large implant with tight tissues - I would suggest fat grafting to the medial pole of each breast to improve infill in this region and provide more implant coverage. Your breast tissues will thin with time, so fat grafting might be helpful for you.

Space between implants

Your breasts will certainly improve in shape over the next 6 months since you are very early in the post operative recovery process. The distance between the breast is determined by several factors.
This included the anatomy of your chest and sternum. Since the implant, if placed under the muscle, can only go as close to the middle as the edge of your breast bone this is one limiting factor. If the rib cage is flat the breast will project forward, if it is angled they will project to the side. These are all factors that can be discussed with your plastic surgeon.

Fat grafting can improve gap in cleavage

Thank you for your question. Fat grafting may be a simpler procedure than pocket revision to decrease gap between breast implants.

Breast Augment

Great question and topic. Your results in the bra seem perfect. If your breasts are too close you will get uniboob or synmastia which is when the implants go over the sternum and touch, it is probably the worse aesthetic complication you can get

Diminishing the intermammary distance

can be accomplished from pushing your breasts together frequently but the space will still persist when without a bra. If you started with a huge space, your look is really pretty good. But as the other doctors have mentioned, there are options you can consider.

Curtis Wong, MD