Other fat reduction methods have produced a reduced need for insulin in type 2 diabetes. Is this true of CoolSculpting?

Coolsculpting

Coolsculpting reduces the subcutaneous fat. There is no research supporting loosing subcutaneous fat will decrease the amount of insulin you take.

Coolsculpting is an excellent form of non-invasive  fat reduction for the right patient. Some applicators take 1 or 2 hours but the new advantage applicators take only 35 minutes and have significantly less risk for delayed onset pain (especially in the abdomen). Results are seen at 2 months and typically 1-3 treatments will be necessary on each area to achieve ideal results. The number of treatments depends on the amount of fat there and the patient's goals.  There is not downtime and the results can be impressive in the right patient.  We also use the Zimmer Z-wave for improved patient comfort and added results. The best candidates are those who are in pretty good shape with areas of stubborn fat that won't go away no matter what.

My best,

Sheila Nazarian, MD, MMM

Beverly Hills, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting Effect on Diabetes?

Your question is very insightful! You are correct that the reduction of weight and abdominal fat has been shown to decrease insulin resistance and improve levels of hemoglobin A1C.  Unfortunately, the fat that influences blood sugar and insulin release is the intra-abdominal fat, the fat that is under the abdominal muscles and around your internal abdominal organs.  CoolSculpting can only treat the fat layer just beneath the skin, subcutaneous fat. CoolSculpitng is not intended for weight loss, it is intended to shape and sculpt the body  Good luck!

Tina B. West, MD
Washington Dermatologic Surgeon

CoolSculpting and Diabetes

I have not seen or heard of any type of correlation between CoolSculpting and a reduced need for insulin in type 2 diabetes.  CoolSculpting is a cosmetic procedure and there is little to no weight loss from the treatment.  

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Coolsculpting and diabetes

I have not heard that this procedure helps with diabetes. It is mainly weight loss that is associated with less need for medication. There is minimal to no weight loss with Coolsculpting.

Steven F. Weiner, MD