Did I Pull out Grafts One Week After a Hair Transplant? (photo)

I'm 24 year old male. I had a hair transplant of 3000 grafts 7 days ago. Tonight I washed my hair and gently rubbed it with my fingers because that's how my doctor advised me. What really scared me is that I could see some scabs in my hand that looked like grafts. They were the same size and they had hair in it. Is it possible that I pulled out some? And also, is it normal that my head is still full of scabs after 7 days? Shouldn't it heal faster? Are these cracks on my head normal?

Did I pull out grafts

You have terrible crusting which cna not be picked out for fear of graft loss. I am shocked by the degree of scabbing (crusting) you have. This should have all been washed off in the first two days after the transplant. You should let the shampoo sit on your head twice daily for 10 minutes, and slowly and gently message these crusts. They should be ready to come off. DO NOT PICK THEM or you run the risk of puling out the grafts

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Post op regiment after hair transplant surgery

The hair shaft is attached to the follicle and detaches after the surgery.   The detached hair shaft will come out with the scabs.  Usually the first ten days the scabs start to fall off.  We usually give our patients a post op regiment to make the wound and the recipient area heal faster. If our clients follow direction, then within two weeks all the scabs would have fallen off.  When you wash or rub the recipient areas, you may notice scabs fall off with the detached hair.  However, the follicle remains and will start to grow in a few months after the procedure.  

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Scabs (Crusts) Following Hair Transplantation

It appears that the hair follicles were tightly placed so that there will be good density when the new hair grows.  The "cracks" are where the scabs (crusts) have come off of your scalp.  If you rubbed too hard or "picked" you may have pulled some of the follicles out.  It is also possible that some of your hair was cut when making the sites and came off with the scabs, i.e., the hairs were the the transplanted hairs that were transplanted.  The normal progression is for the transplanted hairs to fall out around 2 weeks or so and the new very fine hairs will start to be noticeable in about 4 months.  It will take approximately a year to see the final result.  I do not think there is anything with which to be alarmed.  The scabs (crusts) will usually be gone in 2-3 weeks.  Letting the shampoo soak for a few minutes before you rinse will slowly remove the crusts and the "cracks" will be gone.  The hair follicles are held in the scalp very well by 5-7 days so at 7 days you are past the critical point when the transplanted hairs will pull out easily.  I expect that your transplant will grow plenty of hair.  However, don't expect to end up with super dense hair with one transplant.   

Carl A. Powell, DO, FACS, FAACS
Encinitas General Surgeon

Post hair transplant, it is normal to have some scabbing and shedding of scabs.

This looks normal, though you may have to cleanse the recipient area more thoroughly, but gently of course!

Did I Pull out Grafts One Week After a Hair Transplant?

Incredibly unlikely at this point as the top layer of skin usually seals after 5-6 days. The cracks you see at the top are usually due to irregular dissolving of the scabs giving these patterns. All should be good and follow your doctor's instructions

Bessam Farjo, MBChB
Manchester Hair Restoration Surgeon

Crack can be normal but probably means you're not washing well

Crack can be normal but probably means you're not washing well.  You should follow up with your doctor for a recheck.  Doctors generally instruct patients to wash their hair in 1 day.  You will lose your transplanted hair as well as some of your native hair weeks after surgery. You may look worse before it starts to look better. It may take 6 to 12 months to see the results of a hair transplant
surgery.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Did I pull out grafts

From the pictures that I'm looking at, it does not appear as though you pulled out any graphs however, you yourself would know better if you actually pull them out or accidentally scratched your head vigorously during the first week or so . I believe what I'm looking at is separation in the scabs at the graft sites and not missing follicular units so I would not worry however, if you are concerned, I would make a follow-up appointment with your hair transplant surgeon for a careful close-up examination, but I'm encouraged that you will be fine and obtain an excellent result. The downside is being patient and that you won't see any growth for a minimum of six months and possibly as long as 9 to 10 months.

Cracks on Head

The cracks you describe on your head is a normal scabbing process after a procedure so I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Nonetheless, it is always best to contact your surgeon with questions and/or concerns.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Scabbing is normal one to two weeks after hair transplants

What you described is completely normal. Seven days after the surgery, signs of wounding in the donor area should deplete. Scabs in the recipient area will typically fall off within seven to 14 days. At just a week after your surgery, you are still in the normal time frame for scabs to fall off. Additional shedding is possible for up to eight weeks. Both areas will continue to heal with virtually no scarring. If after two months, you are still having scabbing and shedding, then contact your surgeon. Additionally, if excessive hair loss continues while showering, contact your surgeon immediately. This may be a complication. A patient can expect new hair growth in 14 to 16 weeks, which usually maxes out at a year. New hair will continue to mature and thicken for up to a year and a half after the FUE surgery. Follow-ups with the surgeon will continue during this time to track progress.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Hair loss after a hair transplant

This could be normal.  It is hard to tell from the photos but the history doesnt sound out of line.  

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist