Did I Pull out Grafts One Week After a Hair Transplant? (photo)

I'm 24 year old male. I had a hair transplant of 3000 grafts 7 days ago. Tonight I washed my hair and gently rubbed it with my fingers because that's how my doctor advised me. What really scared me is that I could see some scabs in my hand that looked like grafts. They were the same size and they had hair in it. Is it possible that I pulled out some? And also, is it normal that my head is still full of scabs after 7 days? Shouldn't it heal faster? Are these cracks on my head normal?

Scabbing is normal one to two weeks after hair transplants

What you described is completely normal. Seven days after the surgery, signs of wounding in the donor area should deplete. Scabs in the recipient area will typically fall off within seven to 14 days. At just a week after your surgery, you are still in the normal time frame for scabs to fall off. Additional shedding is possible for up to eight weeks. Both areas will continue to heal with virtually no scarring. If after two months, you are still having scabbing and shedding, then contact your surgeon. Additionally, if excessive hair loss continues while showering, contact your surgeon immediately. This may be a complication. A patient can expect new hair growth in 14 to 16 weeks, which usually maxes out at a year. New hair will continue to mature and thicken for up to a year and a half after the FUE surgery. Follow-ups with the surgeon will continue during this time to track progress.

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Post op regiment after hair transplant surgery

The hair shaft is attached to the follicle and detaches after the surgery.   The detached hair shaft will come out with the scabs.  Usually the first ten days the scabs start to fall off.  We usually give our patients a post op regiment to make the wound and the recipient area heal faster. If our clients follow direction, then within two weeks all the scabs would have fallen off.  When you wash or rub the recipient areas, you may notice scabs fall off with the detached hair.  However, the follicle remains and will start to grow in a few months after the procedure.  

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Post-op Shedding

At seven days, it is very unlikely that you lost the follicle.  Typically, the hairs with the scabs will fall off by one week after the procedure. The follicle is still intact under the skin and will product a new hair in about four months.  If you are too aggressive washing your hair the first few days after the procedure, you may lose the follicle with the hair. A way to determine that,  would be bleeding from that site.  For patients that have persistent scabbing at one week, I recommend you take a bath, soak the grafted area under the water for 30 minutes and then shower.   I would then gently scrub off the remaining scabs.  If the scabs persist, repeat the soaking daily until they have fallen off.  I find that most patients are reluctant to get to aggressive with shampooing, for fear of knocking out the follicle.   One week after surgery,  I have not had a patient lose any follicles.

Cary S. Feldman, MD
Houston Hair Restoration Surgeon

Did I pull out grafts

You have terrible crusting which cna not be picked out for fear of graft loss. I am shocked by the degree of scabbing (crusting) you have. This should have all been washed off in the first two days after the transplant. You should let the shampoo sit on your head twice daily for 10 minutes, and slowly and gently message these crusts. They should be ready to come off. DO NOT PICK THEM or you run the risk of puling out the grafts

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Crack can be normal but probably means you're not washing well

Crack can be normal but probably means you're not washing well.  You should follow up with your doctor for a recheck.  Doctors generally instruct patients to wash their hair in 1 day.  You will lose your transplanted hair as well as some of your native hair weeks after surgery. You may look worse before it starts to look better. It may take 6 to 12 months to see the results of a hair transplant
surgery.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Did I pull out grafts

From the pictures that I'm looking at, it does not appear as though you pulled out any graphs however, you yourself would know better if you actually pull them out or accidentally scratched your head vigorously during the first week or so . I believe what I'm looking at is separation in the scabs at the graft sites and not missing follicular units so I would not worry however, if you are concerned, I would make a follow-up appointment with your hair transplant surgeon for a careful close-up examination, but I'm encouraged that you will be fine and obtain an excellent result. The downside is being patient and that you won't see any growth for a minimum of six months and possibly as long as 9 to 10 months.

Keith Durante, MD, FACS
New York General Surgeon

Hair loss after a hair transplant

This could be normal.  It is hard to tell from the photos but the history doesnt sound out of line.  

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist

Hair Transplant

Hi There, usually if you pull out a graft it would bleed in that area. The once that comes out with the scabs are only the shaft of the hair while the root would be embedded into the tissue. Yes, it is normal for you to have scabs for up to two weeks. We follow a different protocol. We give two washes in the clinic and advise client to shower from the third day and then continue daily. The scabs usually fall off in two weeks.

Jayanthy Ravindran, MS, DNB, MRCS
India Plastic Surgeon

Did I pull out grafts?

While it's unlikely that you pulled out any grafts this far out from surgery, the appearance of your grafted area indicates poor post-op care. Proper cleansing and spraying in the first 24-36 hours after surgery is critical for a healthy looking recipient area. Hair shafts attached to crusts are normal, as the follicles remain secure in the scalp.

Allow a warm shower to soften the crusts, and gently massage them off over the course of a few days.

Robert Haber, MD
Cleveland Dermatologic Surgeon

Normal

After 1 week hair will fall down and it can take 3 months. After 3 months the hairs start to grow. It is a normal prosedure, but i suggest you talk with your doctor

Emrah Cinik, MD
Istanbul Physician