I Had an Hair Transplant 3 Weeks Ago, but I Only Showered my Hair Twice for the First Ten Days. What Can I Expect?

Shower after an hair transplant

No problem showering after hair transplant

Every surgeon has a different postoperative protocol.  This far out from surgery, in my hands you are fine to wash your hair.  Just do not pick at any scabs.  Please contact your surgeon for his or her specific protocol.  This should not alter your long term result.

Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Shower after transplant

There should be no alteration of the healing process from what you have done. Your surgeon should have informed you of what to expect. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Doctors generally instruct patients to wash their hair everyday.

Doctors generally instruct patients to wash their hair everyday.  Your doctor may have different care instructions.  It is always a good idea to check with your doctor. You will lose your transplanted hair as well as some of your native hair weeks after surgery. You may look worse before it starts to look better. It may take 6 to 12 months to see the results of a hair transplant surgery.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Showering after Hair Transplant

I recommend patients wash hair daily and keep scalp clean and remove scabs.  By two weeks after surgery I expect sutures to look clean with all scabs removed.

Jack Fisher, MD

Post operative care

An FUE is treated just like a regular hair transplant with regard to the recipient area, but the donor area has open wounds which require daily washing with soap and water. Within 3 days of surgery, you can resume full activities, heavy exercises if you wish. The recipient area requires daily washes as well to keep the recipient area free of crusts. I generally recommend the use of a sponge and supply my patient with a surgical sponge to fill with soapy water and press on the recipient area daily. By repeating this daily, all crusts can be washed off without any fear of losing grafts. IF any crust are present, use a Q tip and dip it into soapy water, and roll it on the crusts and that will lift them off without dislodging them, but never rub them, just roll the Q tip on the recipient crust. I like to see no evidence of any crusting in the recipient area and the crusts from the donor area gone in 7-10 days with daily washing

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

FUE Hair Transplant Post-op Care

The first day after hair transplant you should not wash your hair at all. But each day thereafter, it is okay to pour water over the hair and cleanse very gently. Gradually, you can make your way back to your normal hair-washing routine. Three weeks post-operation, your scabs should be gone and you should be washing as normal.
Having only washed your hair twice in the first 10 days, your results should come out just fine, as long as you were not too rough.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon