Fat above Pubic Area. (photos)

I have a pooch right below my navel, under my stomach that involves my pubic region. This pouch of what i think is fat. Is directly over my penis. I call it my "Forward Fanny pack". Can this be removed through Lipo? Is there anything major in that area of my pelvic region. Besides nerves, etc etc...? If not is it removable?

"Forward Fanny pack" and Hidden Penis

From your pictures it appears you are significantly overweight and in addition to your "Forward Fanny pack" (which we call an Apron or Pannus) you have a large Mons pubis which literally hides your penis.

You should consider a weight loss procedure (such as Lap band or Gastric bypass). Both procedure would remove most if not all of your excess fat and could be followed by either a tummy tuck or liposuction to give you a much better result than attempting liposuction of the apron and Mons pubis at your present size.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter A Aldea

Liposuction - Mons pubis (Pubic Mound) in a Man; Extra Skin Also?

Hi tnmountainman41 in Johnson City, TN,

It looks as though you have excess fat - and skin - in the region known as the mons pubis (Latin for pubic mound).  This area is often treated very effectively with liposuction alone but, as always, the final result depends on what you look like beforehand (the anatomy), the procedure that is done and the way that your tissues contract down into their new contour.

In your case, it looks like you have some extra fat and skin in that region, aside from some excess overhanging tissue above it (nothing personal...just commenting...).  Assuming you're in good health you may benefit from the removal of some of that fat (lipo) but also some of the skin if you're open to that.  Doing lipo alone may not provide enough of a result for you.

Exactly what you choose to do will depend on your overall health (height, weight, medical issues etc) combined with the parameters of lipo I noted above.  For that you'll need to discuss this with your plastic surgeon; ie, someone who can examine you in person and put all of these factors together to work up a plan for you.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

F.U.P.A. Fat in the Upper Pubic Area

Your photos show two different fat collections.  One is the lower abdominal pooch below the umbilicus.  The second in the Fat in the Upper Pubic Area, just above the penis, and below the crease where your underwear elastic indents your skin.

Both areas are amenable to liposuction, though you have a significant amount of redundant skin which would also be treatable with an abdominoplasty, tummy tuck, or panniculectomy procedure.

The area above the penis can be nicely treated with liposuction to get rid of the forward fanny pack.  This will allow better projection of your genitalia.

A consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon will help you delineate your options.

Gilbert Lee, MD

Fat in the pubis area

Hi, thank you for your question. That área  definitely can be  improved with a liposuction . This is a very noble area where we will not find dangerous structures such as nerve or large vessels. On the contrary this area many times is comprised of fat as in  your case may be excessive and annoying .

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Pubic Fat

This is an area of they body that patients are very shy about bringing up, but an area that many patients are troubled by.  Liposuction and liposculpture can significantly improve the contour of this area.  I routinely ask my patients during consultation of the abdomen if this area troubles them an most say yes.  Occasionally, I have patients seek my out, specifically, for liposuction of this area.  I use a liposculpture technique that sculpts the pubic area in 3D, so as to not only defat the area, but to reshape the area as well as accomplish some skin tightening as well.  In this way the pubic mins is made more youthful in appearance.

Male lipodystrophy

For men fat tends to be stored in the intra-abdominal compartment. This is visceral fat and can not be liposuctioned. This visceral fat can only be lost by diet and exercise. It is possible that you are a candidate for liposuction but an examination is required.  The key is the degree of skin elasticity.  IF you have many stretch marks and atophic skin then liposuction is not the answer you would need a skin excision as well. 

Pubic Area Will Improve Somewhat With Liposuction

The fat above your pubic region will improve to a certain degree after liposuction.  There are no major vascular or nervous structures in this area that should be directly damaged per se if you underwent this procedure; it is something that is commonly done.  However, you also have a fair amount of loose skin in the area, and the improvement that you would see with just liposuction alone may not be that significant.  You can certainly try this as a primary method of improvement, and if you don't see the results you're looking for, you may benefit from a direct excision of skin and fat from the pubic area.  You may also benefit from a tummy tuck to reduce the excess abdominal skin, which may have an impact on how noticeable the pubic fulness may be.

Samuel Sohn, MD

Liposuction of the Male Abdomen and Pubic Area

Many men who carry excess weight have excess fat and hanging skin in the area that you describe.  This might be best treated and most effectively treated by diet, exercise and weight loss followed by a tummy tuck but you do have the option if you are healthy of undergoing liposuction to thin the padded layer beneath the skin.  The change will be noticeable but possibly not as dramatic as you might hope for without skin removal. Meet with an ABPS board-certified plastic surgeon to review photographs of other males who undergone liposuction or tummy tuck so you can consider your options.  Most important would be to get to a healthier weight before undergoing any anesthesia and surgery.  Good luck and best wishes.Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Pubic fat

It is common to have fat in this area.  Liposuction could definitely help.  You may need removal of skin in this area as well to get the best results.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

LIpo can help

Liposuction is a good start and can help the area.
As you feel better about the improvement in this area you can continue your weight loss and improve other areas.
Lipo is safe in the pubic pouch area.
Laser lipo will help tighten the skin also in this area.