Preventing Stretch Marks After Breast Augmentation?

I will be getting a BA soon to correct moderate boobie asymmetry. I anticipate the formation of new stretch marks. As i understand, science has not yet developed away to "mess with" our elastin, but I just thought I'd ask: anything I ca do to prevent/minimize the formation of these marks that is ok to do whist hearing from surgery? I appreciate your thoughts and thanks so much!

How to Prevent Stretch Marks from Breast Augmentation

The number one way to prevent stretch marks is to make sure that the implant selected is not too big for your tissue thickness, stretchability, as well as your overall breast/chest dimensions.
I perform a very specific 5 point measuring system to determine the best size. This also includes the measure of your breast tissues capability for stretch.
In addition to this, once you get a breast augmentation, it is important to lubricate with lotion etc. as soon as your doctor gives the ok.
Best of Luck
Dr Ghavami

Stretch mark prevention

Like any other surgery, it stretches your skin/fibers. Stretch marks normally do not occur but if you want to be more cautious, I would recommend using my ScarxTape which you can order online and after the surgery and for at least two months when you will have the most swelling, use the scarxtape to support the skin.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Stretch marks

Stretch marks, also called striae, occasionally occur from breast implants.  In most cases, however, we don't see them.  The only time I have seen it occur is when using very large implants on under breast skin that is really tight.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Cocoa Butter, Cocoa Oil, And Implant Selection

Choosing an implant that is appropriately sized will minimize the chance for stretch mark formation.  To further reduce your risk you can use a cocoa butter such as Palmer's stretch mark formula to keep the skin supple and reduce the chance for formation of stretch marks.  Lastly, fractional laser can be used to reduce the appearance of stretch marks once they appear.  Nothing can completely remove a stretch mark but this type of laser has shown promise.  

I have done thousands of breast augmentations in the last 30 years and have only seen one patient develop stretch marks and then we found out she was unexpectadly pregnant so I presume that was the cause of stretch marks.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Preventing stretch marks after breast augmentation

While some patients may form new stretch marks after surgery, I do not see this very often.   Many times patients have small, pale stretch marks already (that may not have been very noticeable before), and the swelling after surgery makes them much more obvious for a while.  The pressure from the implants can then cause the marks to appear wider and therefore larger.  Puttting in very large implants for your breast dimensions could result in a higher chance of new stretch marks, and there are always tissue/skin factors that we can't completely predict.   I would keep your skin hydrated with moisturizers preoperatively, and be conservative with implant size to minimize the risk. 

Stretch Marks Unusual with Breast Implants

For unknown reasons it is rare in my experience to see stretch marks following a breast augmentation, even going from small to large.

Stretch Mark Prevention in Breast Augmentation

Congratulations on your upcoming procedure. Hormones are the main cause of stretch marks. Women get them during puberty or pregnancy. Breast implants are not known to cause them. What may happen is that you have tiny, pale, fine marks that you had not noticed before and they become obvious due to the swelling from the surgery. This will minimize with time and as the swelling goes away. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

How to prevent stretch marks after breast augmentation

Stretch marks are caused by overstretching of the skin. Not everyone will get stretch marks after surgery but some are more likely than others. Here are some risk factors that can increase your chances of having stretch marks: The larger the implant, the more likely you are to have stretch marks.  If you currently have stretch marks on your breasts, then you may develop more stretch marks.  If your skin is fair and thin then you are at risk. 

Ultimately the most important thing to do, is to not get an implant that is too large for your breasts.  Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Michael Zarrabi, MD
Santa Monica Plastic Surgeon

BBA

I think the most important step is prevention.  This can be done by not choosing a size that is too large.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)