Will insurance cover Liposuction for Dercums Disease?

I have Dercums Disease and have a ton of pain. Will insurance cover liposuction? Thanks, Jen

Liposuction for Dercum's disease

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• For those who don't know, Dercum's DIsease is the development of multple painful fatty growths called lipomoas in people who are (usually) obese.
  • The usual treatment is removal of the most bothersome lipomas.
  • The only way to know if your insurance will pay for liposuction for these tumors is to ask.
  • I have not had an insurer pay for any liposuction for any reason for twenty years -
  • But if you call your insurer, they can tell you if this might be covered.
  • Then a plastic surgeon has to submit a pre-determination.
  • All plastic surgeons whom I know would require payment in advance - and submit to insurance afterwards so you can be reimbursed to the limit of your policy.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. I recommend you to talk with your surgeon first, to see if it will be safe to perform this procedure with your actual condition, This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift, Hugs!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Insurance paying for liposuction

Insurance generally pays for medically indicated procedures.

There are few if any proven medical indications for liposuction.

Insurance usually pays for the removal of lipomas. Paragraph these are generally better removed with direct surgical excision as opposed to liposuction.

You have a very unusual disorder and there is a possibility that a medical insurance company could pay for appropriate treatments if I convincing argument can be made that it will decrease pain.

It would certainly require a physician willing to work as a patient advocate as it would most likely be rejected initially and require multiple iPOs before possibly being excepted.

After this the plastic surgeon would most likely get a tiny fraction of what regular income is for liposuction.
You may want to consider going to Oregon health science university.

Your condition is unusual enough that it may be appropriately treated at an academic institution.

best of luck,

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Insurance and Liposuction

It is very rare that insurance will ever cover liposuction for lipedema or dercums disease.  I suggest getting a formal consultation and considering your options.  As this type of surgery requires a very specific type of liposuction and sometimes even surgical removal especially when in the head/neck area. Best, Dr. Emer.

Insurance and Cosmetic Surgery

Thanks for your question. Medical clearance must be required before proceeding with cosmetic surgery. Typically, insurance will not cover cosmetic surgery, but you can double check with your insurance.

Henry Mentz, MD, FACS