Does belotero attract water?

I want to get belotero injectied under my eyes! My main concern is that this product may attract water ! I had a bad experience with restylin befor and my doctor recommended belotero and said that this product doesn't atrackt water !

Belotero does attract water

Belotero does attract water since it is a hyaluronic acid filler. Discuss concerns with the doctor and they may be able to inject superficially or under correct so that it does not create a puffy or swollen look.

Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Belotero

belotero is hydrophilic so i can attract water. Not as much as Juvederm though. A skilled injector can help avoid this though.

Kristin J. Tarbet MD, FACS
Bellevue Oculoplastic Surgeon

Does Belotero Attract Water?

Belotero is a hyaluronic acid fillers and hyaluronic acid fillers attract water. Belotero is great option for the fine lines under the eyes, because it is a thinner filler. Please discuss your concerns with your treating physician.

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Short Answer: Yes

Belotero, as well as other hyaluronic acid products, do attract water.

This becomes important when treating sunken, tired eyes/tear troughs.

A skilled injector will under-correct to that the water that the Belotero draws in will not create a puffy or swollen look under your eyes.

Philip A. Alves, MD
Toronto Physician

Belotero in the tear trough

Both Restylane and Belotero are good choices for filling the tear troughs. They both attract water. Some patients are prone to swelling. Another factor is that some physicians like to inject superficially which causes prolonged swelling in the area in some cases. Injection above the bone typically leads to a result with a bit less swelling and bruising after injection. I use belotero in patients with less deficit and reserve Restylane for patients that need more volume. 

Jennifer Parker Porter, MD, FACS
Bethesda Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tear trough filler injection

All hyaluronic acid based fillers attract water to some degree and this includes Belotero. However, Belotero is less hydrophilic then some of the other fillers we use such as Restylane and Juvederm. That being said, both Restylane and Belotero are great fillers for treating the undereyes. I know you mentioned your prior experienced with Restylane but I just wanted to let you know that "it is not always the filler but the FILLER". See someone with considerable experience in treating the undereyes with fillers. I actually prefer Restylane over Belotero for the tear troughs because it provides more lift and last longer. It just needs to be injected at the appropriate depth below the skin which in my opinion is below the orbicularis oculi muscle in the case of the tear troughs.

Shaun Patel, MD
Miami Physician

You'll Get Great Results--Belotero for Under Eye

All fillers may attract some water as their purpose is to create volume. However, belotero is a great choice for under the eyes. I often use it in combination with microneedling/prp and lasers under the eyes for best results. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Hyaluronic acid and water

Thanks for your question- 

All hyaluronic acid fillers will attract water- that's what they do! If done correctly this is a great thing. Belotero is a great choice for the fine areas like under the eyes as it's a thinner filler that really does wonderful in that area.

I don't think that the ability to attract water was your problem before- thousands of injections are done every day and most people love their results! I would recommend trying a different injector or talking with your previous injector about your expectations!

God bless and Good Luck!

Dr. Robb 

Philip K. Robb Jr., MD
Evans Otolaryngologist

Belotero under the eyes

Thank you for your photos and question.  My experience with Belotero is that it absolutely does attract some water.  That's why I always try to fill the tear trough area to about 80% correction on the initial visit since I know over the next couple of weeks that water will be attracted to the filler.  I like placing small blebs of the Belotero with an insulin syringe to minimize bruising and swelling in the tear trough area, and I apply the filler with the understanding that the patient may not need an entire syringe of Belotero split under both eyes.  I may be conservative with this approach, but I feel it best to wait a couple of weeks and see how the Belotero settles.  Then the remainder of the syringe can be placed on a follow-up visit, if necessary. I hope this helps you with your decision.  I do feel Belotero is a nice product for the tear troughs if applied in a conservative manner.  Contact your favorite plastic surgeon's office and tell them your concerns before proceeding.  Wishing you all the best on your journey!

Remus Repta, MD