Is there anything besides a filler that can treat hollows under the eyes?

I am 66 years old and have good skin. People think I am in my 40's. I do have hollowing under my eyes. Also, when I smile my cheeks raise up a lot. I got Bolatero under the eyes and now when I smile I have accordion pleated wrinkles that look worse when I smile. What can I do about these hollows without going the filler route.

Belotero® and Restylane® are considered the 2016 gold standard fillers for filling in lost volume to the undereye area, or tear troughs. As this is an advanced procedure, please consult a board certified aesthetic dermatologist for a consultation. 

Miami Dermatologist

Undereye hollows

Honestly, fillers such as Belotero and Restylane are one of the best treatment options we have for undereye hollowing. The wrinkles you describe may be improved with non ablative and ablative lasers, microneedling, or RF based devices. Usually, combination treatments work best around the eye. 

Under Eyes

Thank you for your question. Under eye hollows respond best to Laser or Fillers. A consultation and assessment would be absolutely necessary to determine what is best for you. A pigmentation issue may also be an issue, which can be rectified easily with hydroquinone or laser treatments. Always be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon. You are always welcome here in Montreal. Regards, 

Eyelid Wrinkles/Bags Treatment -- Restylane or Belotero with Cannulas, Clear+Brilliant, Eclipse Micropen, Viva

Eye bags respond well to noninvasive treatments lasers, micro needling in addition to fillers. Please see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Eye bags/tear grooves

Ideally, when one has an aging change, the most natural solution is to correct the cause. The tear 'trough' is really a 'dip' overlying the rim of the eye; due to the descent of the fat pad that normally covers it up in youth. Lifting the cheek pad fat back up towards the eye rim will cover the rim and fill out the groove, reduce the 'wrinkling' of the skin (the common quote is that it is like adding air to a balloon. Talk to the surgeon for more complete discussion of the anatomy

Gerald Wittenberg, MSc, DMD
Vancouver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Under the eye treatment

Thanks for your question. Filling the under the eye with dermafiller or fat is a very common procedure and usually very effective but I mostly recommend to combine it with RF or laser treatment. One of the other option would PRP treatment. As this is a very sensitive and vascular area all these treatments should be done by an expert physician .

Reza Akef, MD
Toronto Physician

Tear trough filler

Tear trough hollows tend to make us look more tired and aged.  Treatment of this area is usually done with hyaluronic acid fillers or fat transplantation.   In some patients, surgical blepharoplasty with fat repositioning can make an improvement in the laxity of the lid and the hollows.   However, filler in this area usually doesn't cause increased wrinkling; sometimes lifting up the hollows brings up tissue that wasn't previously visible.  Treatment of this area with tightening devices or co2 resurfacing may improve the area.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon