Cheek Implants After Orthognathic Surgery? (photo)

I am having orthognathic surgery. (upper jaw moved forward with genioplasty). The question is about how to correct the mid-face deficiency a Lefort 1 does not. I have adequate fatty cheek tissue. However, the apples are low, and the area below my eyes looks flat and sunken. Would you recommend cheek implants or an H.A. filler? If cheek implants have a high likelihood of asymmetry or further surgery years down the line, those would be factors that rule out implants.

Doctor Answers 6

Cheek implants after orthognathic surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Cheek implants are  a permanent solution to augment the anterior portion of the maxilla. Cheek implants  or manufactured in a variety of sizes and shapes which include malar and sub-malar. After  the orthognathic surgery and the swelling has subsided, consultation and examination of the cheek and maxilla  will determine the best option. For more information and examples, please see the link below

Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 158 reviews

Cheek Implants After Orthognathic Surgery?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
That single view provides limited information about your cheekbone shape but you do appear to have very flat cheek bones. A hyaluronic acid filler like Voluma is a good option but would need to be repeated every two years. You also would likely be spending $2000-4000 each time you had the filler procedure. Cheek implants would provide a robust result that required only a single procedure. Cheek implants usually do not require any subsequent procedure unless there is infection or shifting of the implants but both of those issues are relatively uncommon.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cheek Implants After Orthognathic Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
While both cheek implants and HA fillers can give you beautiful, soft, round cheeks, you would benefit from cheek implants.  Your cheek area is very flat and needs to be fuller to accentuate your femininity.  This is a long term solution for you!

Francis R. Palmer, III, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 28 reviews


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
There are many ways to help the cheeks appear fuller and more youthful.  Cheek implants are typically the preferred option but there are going to be risks.  Asymmetry is always a concern when dealing with bilateral portions of the body whether it is the face, breasts, or buttocks.  Future surgeries are also a risk of having any cosmetic surgery especially if there is trauma to the area.  Dermal fillers such as Radiesse can be used to add volume to the cheek area.  This option is not permanent and the injections would need to be repeated every year or two depending on how your body metabolizes the product.  A fat transfer is another permanent solution.  Excess fat would be suctioned from any part of your body and then injected into the areas that you would like to plump.  In order to find the best solution for you, you need to find a board certified oral maxillofacial surgeon and schedule a consultation.  After a thorough examination your surgeon would then be able to give you more definitive surgical options to help you achieve the look you desire.

Be well and good luck!


Cheek implants after jaw surgery.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Cheek implants will give you the best results as well as the longest lasting results without the need for repeated treatments. The complication from this is uncommon but one can have an infection at the time of placement. You will have less symmetry problems with cheek implants than with fillers. Choose a very experienced surgeon for the best results

Toby Mayer, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

Cheek Implants After Orthognathic Surgery?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Three months after the surgery try a HA filler like Juvederm Voluma 2 to 4 cc's. Than you can see if the filling effected a change for you.. 

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.